DVD recorder or combi DVDR/HDD

stormjai

Established Member
Reaction score
I have Sky+, and want to burn recorded programmes to DVD. Is it better to get just a DVD recorder, or will HDD enabled DVD recorder be of any benefit, as I would always record to Sky+ first. Any suggestions for specific models. I see a lot about Panasonic/ Pioneer and Toshiba. How are the Sony's?

I do have a DV camcorder. Are these DVD/HDD combos easier/better for archiving than loading to computer, editing and burning to DVDR drive.

HDD/DVDRs are ideal if you want to make editted recordings that play on other DVD players.

If you buy a standalone DVD recorder you can either record in Video Mode or VR mode. The former is compatible with most DVD players whereas the latter is incompatible but offers editting, timeslip, chasing playback, playlists etc. Adding a HDD into a DVD recorder means you have the benefit of VR mode (i.e. editting, non-linear playlists) but can easily dub to DVD-R in 'Video' mode which will play on virtually all DVD players. Plus, as the HDD has greater capacity than any DVDR, you can record in best quality mode, edit and then dub to disk without wasting any space on the disk (which would require you to use a lower bitrate and thus reduced quality).

In summary then if you can afford it buy a HDD/DVDR combo as this is the perfect type of machine to accompany Sky+. Ideal machines to look at would be the Toshiba RDXS32 or the Panasonic E95.

Needless to say if you are prepared to author on your PC then you can get away with a standalone DVD recorder (although I would still recommend a HDD/DVDR combo). With such a machine you can record in the incompatible VR mode, import onto your PC, author and burn to DVD-R (see this guide for example). Suitable machines include the Panasonic E65 or Pioneer 320. If you can push the boat to a HDD/DVDR though do so!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom