1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD recorder or burner?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mandril, Jan 12, 2003.

1. mandril

mandril
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been thinking about buying a phillips DVD 890 for a while now and was just about to order one, (from richer sounds £434.95 -£25 discount) but I have started to have second thoughts because I dont know enough about DVD burners for my PC just to ignore them.

So if anyone could offer any advice on the pros and cons of either system I would appreciate it.
    I would mainly be using it to back up DVD's and transfering home movies from DV to DVD. I have sky+ so its not essential for recording stuff off the TV although it would be usefull to copy the occasional film etc from my sky box to DVD.

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Trouble is it isn't really an either/or choice. If you want to do proper editing, menus, chapters, etc on your DV stuff you have to go the PC route. If simple linear editing (on RW discs), and simple menus and chapters are good enough, and for archiving movies then set top is fine.

Ideally get both;)

3. mug

mug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
  4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Marcus

Just got back from Spain, and my e-mail is down:( Delaying sorting out the nochex setup.

I'll get in touch asap.

5. The_Doc

The_Doc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like you would have to go for both to do what you wanted. Can't see a way of just using one sytem to copy DVDs.

6. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Did I not read somewhere that a DVD recorder would not be able to copy the original sound from a dvd. i.e DTS and 5.1 would not copied onto the recorder so you would have to use a PC to this.