DVD Recorder? now or wait

S

st tech

recently bought a tosh 32zp38. great, superb. now looking for a good recordable dvd to go with it. got regular sky which does have an s-video output and also want to archive camcorder footage. jvc dr-m1 / toshdr1 maybe? or is it best to wait a couple of months until the new pannys are out?

Forget DVDRAM,the new Pioneer models offer RAM style editing or +RW style compatibility on a single format,-RW.A finalised -RW can be played back in most players,then unfinalised and used again.The HDD model is marvellous and makes my HS2 seem a bit dated.

many thanks, review very useful. Which disks have you had success with and which produced coasters?

When is the pog scan feature on the tosh pic frame 2 telly used?
Is this useful with the dr1?

Also which is the best picture setting, natural or active? I cannot see much difference at the moment but this could be because I have not upgraded all my cables yet although the picture of sky still seems very good.

I'm waiting. The new Sony X8 (160Gb) and HX10 (250Gb) HDD/DVD Recorders look like they're worth waiting for.

as the non-HDD versions cost almost as much as the current HDD models I dread to think how much they will be.

The market is going to be flooded with these machines this year, look at how the Panny DMR-E100 has come down £300 already, I think i'm just gonna wait till I find the one that has what I want, then just keep an eye on the price for 6 months before I buy.

Hi

I would caution against the Pioneer units if you are going to be recording using the internal tuner or composite input, the quality is not very good, from S-Video sources it is excellent and so overall has been let down by a very poor quality comb filter in my opinion. A £60 VCR has a better tuner and grasp of composite input than these machines and this is really inexcusable from Pioneer. I am sure many people will be quite happy with the quality however, but it isn't as good as it should or could be.

I would suggest waiting for models to appear with digital tuners now, as time marches on in the UK we are ever nearing the shut-off date for analogue transmissions, and with the success of "Freeview" boxes meaning the percentage of the population that now watches digital is rising steadily, means the governments targets indicating the time to switch is likely to be met sooner rather than later.

Regards

Philip

I'm from the PAN RAM camp so I'd recommend the excellent E100 which recently came up tops (yet again :rolleyes: ) in a recent group test in What TV & Vid mag.

Why wait and miss out go for it now :smashin:

Originally posted by st tech
many thanks, review very useful. Which disks have you had success with and which produced coasters?

Stay clear of Ritek Yellow -R disks - 6 coasters from 10 !!!

I'm now on to Verbatim -R. OK so they're £1 each, which is double what you'd pay for the cheapest brand, but not a single coaster from the dozen I've used so far. I'm not fussed for the few extra pennies as I'm not archiving in the hundreds - would rather pay a bit more for a quality brand that's going to be reliable. www.blankshop.com do a 25 disk tub for £25.

Not tried any -RW yet.

I've have Tosh PF1 so no Prog Scan - but I'm getting superb PQ - maybe PS is more useful for 525 line R1 disks?

Hi,
I'm waiting for one that will record the D/D5.1 sountrack. Can't seem to find any that do this yet :( .
Regards,
Daran.

Originally posted by mw3cdj
Hi,
I'm waiting for one that will record the D/D5.1 sountrack. Can't seem to find any that do this yet :( .
Regards,
Daran.

Daran - to the best of my knowledge there isn't a home user DVD recorder available that does right now. Chances are that there'll probably be a fair premium on them when they do come out.

Have to say that lack of 5.1 soundtrack is noticeable by its absence when compared to output from manufactured DVDs and Sky+.

Apparently Philips are due to launch this summer a HDD/DVD recorder with DD 5.1 recording. Actually it may have said "input" - haven't got the mag in fron of me - but input surely means recording?
This according to What Video and widescreen latest issue just gone on sale.

HI Rosemanbridge

Where exactly are you getting the Panny DMR-E100 for £300?

I cant find one for less than £750

Apparently Philips are due to launch this summer a HDD/DVD recorder with DD 5.1 recording. Actually it may have said "input" - haven't got the mag in fron of me - but input surely means recording?

Dose it give a model number or anything ???
Redards,
Daran

Dose it give a model number or anything ???
The model number (US) is going to be HD-R720 but no details of the European version have been announced yet. The US version will have:
- 80GB HDD
- GEMSTAR GuidePlus
- 5.1 recording
- 1080i Upconversion
- Progressive Scan (NTSC)
- HDMI Out

As to what features any UK release will have is yet to been announced.

The GEMSTAR Guideplus looks like it's going to become fairly popular with Panasonic and Sony both planning to add it to some of their systems.

I hope it does look like this, but so far we have not had the same models in the UK as USA for most manufacturers.
The Panasonic DVD E50 equivalent had progressive component output, not here, I think the E30 also had component in the USA, but my memory is fading.
My denon amp came with a cheaper remote than the USA model.

Steve

The Panasonic DVD E50 equivalent had progressive component output, not here, I think the E30 also had, but my memory is fading.
No - the E30 didn't have PS or component. The upcoming E55 has got both though.

I hope it does look like this
I would suggest the features listed are going to be fairly standard come Winter this year when the machine will make it's appearence:
- Toshiba and Panasonic have both adopted HDMI.
- Samsung and Toshiba have both adopted upconversion (into 1080i and 720p).
- Sony and Panasonic have both adopted Guideplus.

And the 80GB HDD will look small compared to the 'new' models that will be out then as the rumoured specs from this Winter's range of HDD/DVDR combos ranges from 120GB to 250GB. Then there is also the question of what sort of editting features and dubbing options will be available.

As for the 5.1 recording well - we'll have to wait and see - but it may just mean recording in AC3 as opposed to a Digital Input connection. Time will tell on this though...

IMHO though the machine to lookout for will be the upcoming Sony RX10 which should have 250GB HDD, PS, Guideplus, high-speed dubbing to and from DVDR (for + and -) as well as all the standard features you'd expect, i.e. Timeslip, editting. But then Panasonic and Toshiba haven't announced their next gen offerings yet so there could be better to come.

Rasczak welcome back mate. You been on a long sabbatical? :)

Panic

Rasczak welcome back mate. You been on a long sabbatical?
Hi. Been working in Japan for the last three months.

where do you find out about the E55 etc and other soon to be released machines?

stupid question but how much do you think the E55 will be and when will it
be released here in the uk? is it out in the states yet?

Have a look at AVLAND.CO.UK they have info on new models.
Only problem is that they are minor tweaks rather than new models. Features finally added that should have been in last year.
As stated above the HD of most DVD recorders should be much larger than this by the end of the year.
I suspect the E55 will appear around April this year ( I was told by a Panasonic rep last year).

On another thread I found http://www.recorders4u.com/charts/hdd-dvdr_preview.htm
This looks interesting, but there's no guarantee of which of these models we will see in the UK.

Steve

where do you find out about the E55 etc and other soon to be released machines?
AV Land has some of the specs up at the moment:

The E50 replacement is the E55:
http://www.avland.co.uk/panasonic/dmre55/dmr-e55.htm

The E60 replacement is the E65:
http://www.avland.co.uk/panasonic/dmre65/dmr-e65.htm

The new DVDR/VHS combo is the E75:
http://www.avland.co.uk/panasonic/dmre75v/dmr-e75v.htm

The new budget HDD/DVDR combo (replacing the HS2) is the E85:
http://www.avland.co.uk/panasonic/dmre85/dmr-e85h.htm

how much do you think the E55 will be and when will it
Probably around £250 - much the same as the E50.

is it out in the states yet?
No - but that's no indication of UK release

steve36 - I think we posted more or less at the same time there! Av Land is a useful reference! The following link was posted on another thread:
http://digitall.3web.cz/recorders_chart.htm
...which shows some of the DVD recorders coming to Europe although omits the new LG, Sharp and Philips models.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom