1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD recorder newbie

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by scottbown, Apr 5, 2005.

1. scottbown

scottbown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    :lease:
    I'm new to this area of AV forums, spent the last month or so reading the plasma and console gaming sections.

I want to get a DVD recorder for recording analoge TV at the moment and Cable/sky in the near future. I currently play DVD's via xbox, however it can get a bit tempremental when player copied discs when it's been running for a while. So I'm looking for the DVD recorder to be a good player as well (so Progressive Scan is a must really). Saw the Cambridge Audio DVD53+RW looks good, any comments?

I'm not bothered about multi-region as xbox plays 'em.

I've just seen the Panasonic DMRE85 on Richer sounds for £290, looks good and has a hard drive as well. Which sounds great, but do i need it?, Do they do the auto record things like TVIO's do?

Genral questions about DVD-Recorders:
    -Can i record a TV prog on record then play it back on someone elses stardard DVD player or in a DVD rom drive?
    -Is it better to go DVD-R or +R, i have a dual format burner but only use DVD-R's as they were cheaper and know they work well in xbox.
    -Can you use standard DVD-R Data discs? or do you have to buy DVD Video recordable discs? (like what ya have to do with hi-fi CD recorders)

Any comments would be great?

Thanks,

Scott
    -------
    TV: LG RZ-PX11, Player: XBOX, AV Amp: Yamaha RX-v350

2. scottbown

scottbown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry, ignor my newbie questions i have just found the sticky thread that answers most of them... Doh!

Still i'd be interested in peoples comments on good DVD recorded sub £200
    Cambridge Audio DVD53+RW - any good?

also after a quick read i could find a definate answer to "Can i record a TV prog on record then play it back on someone elses stardard DVD player (XBOX) or in a DVD rom drive?"
    and "Do DVD-R's with HD do the auto record thing like TVIO's do?"

Cheers,

Scott

3. ElchenUK

ElchenUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scott, it is possible to record on a DVD and then play it back on another DVD player or DVD Rom drive in a PC as long as the unit accepts the same format as the DVD disc you are using such as DVD-R, DVD+R etc.
    DVD recorders with built in HDD can perform similar actions as TIVO and SKY+ in that they can pause live TV etc.
    YOu can then transfer any video you have recorded on the HDD to a DVD disc for archiving, this is great for keeping video that you really like.
    I would say that sub £200 players are much of a muchness, it is only once you start getting above that you start to see big differences in quality. I would always recommend Panasonic DMRE55/50 and JVC recorders.
    Hope this helps.

4. scottbown

scottbown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the advice ElchenUK.

TIVO and SKY+ have a kind of AI that auto records programs you like, is this possible on DVD recorders with HD? Or is this down to the features of the recorder?

Cheers

Scott

5. ElchenUK

ElchenUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scott, it is possible to record on a DVD and then play it back on another DVD player or DVD Rom drive in a PC as long as the unit accepts the same format as the DVD disc you are using such as DVD-R, DVD+R etc.
    DVD recorders with built in HDD can perform similar actions as TIVO and SKY+ in that they can pause live TV etc.
    YOu can then transfer any video you have recorded on the HDD to a DVD disc for archiving, this is great for keeping video that you really like.
    I would say that sub £200 players are much of a muchness, it is only once you start getting above that you start to see big differences in quality. I would always recommend Panasonic DMRE55/50 and JVC recorders.
    Hope this helps.

6. ElchenUK

ElchenUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oops sorry for the multiple post!!

7. ElchenUK

ElchenUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scott, having never owned a Sky box or a TIVO box I can't really comment. How does the TIVO box know what programs you like? Do you have to categorise programs and then notify Tivo to record those types of programs?
    I know that a of DVD recorders come with videoplus built in, but this is no where near as sophisticated as what you mention.