1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Recorder Life-Span? do I need any cover plan?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by vickylin, Jul 6, 2005.

1. vickylin

vickylin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Because my DVD recorder had just busted, I now feel I need a cover plan for the new recorder but at the same time I'm also not sure if it's worth buying.

after searching around, I think Dixons actually offers the cheapest and one of the most comprehensive cover plan.
    Their GX300 now costs £200 and a 5 years cover is £60.
    GX210 costs 230 (price-match) and its 5 years cover is £90.

My local Sony centre is offering both GX210 and GX300 at same price - £230 with free 3 years warranty. but this doesn't cover accidental damage and postage if I have to sent it back. However, I can choose to pay another £40 to extend the covers to 5 years with accidental & damage cover.( but I still have to pay for delivery charges if any.)
    However, the problem with Sony Centre's warranty is that I won't get any paper to prove what the sales said to me is true. (I might end up paying other hidden charges!?) I asked if I can have a copy of T&C and the guy replied: "there isn't any, the warranty is with us, so you just bring it back with the receipt and we'll sort out everything."

My question is:
    1. What do you guys think of the life-span of DVD recorder? 2 3 4 5 years?

2. Is accidental damage cover useful? (if not, then maybe I shouldn't be so fussy and should just get the one is Sony centre?)

3. maybe I should just find the cheapest deal on the internet and forget about extra cover plan?

PS: I know many has found GX210 to have RGB problems, but I though I can always report the fault in few month time and get them to fix it. I don't mind use composite right now though.

I apreciate your help and opinions. Thanks in advance.

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    IMHO extended warranty plans are poor value. Maybe on items costing thousands, but otherwise I personally would not bother.

3. fred the ted

fred the ted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Pioneer dvr420 is only 6months old, now refuses to play pre-recorded DVD's and is going to go back.
    Its covered by 1year guarantee and Richer Sounds supercoverso hopefully no problem. But it could have gone belly up after 1year and a day, so further cover is worthwhile.

4. vickylin

vickylin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the reply! :)

Spoke to Dixons guy today again and I think the cover plan might work for me coz the recorder is gonna be used very often. The poroblem is, I don't know which one to go for (sorry for being so indecisive!!!) should I go for the one in Dixons which are more expansive but has everything covered up to 5 years or the 3 years one in sony centre but without accidental damage? I guess my question now is: "will DVD recorder last 5 years?"

5. Baggy69

Baggy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The problem with dixons cover plan is that its 'like for like'. i had a then top of the range video off them many years ago, cost £280. It got broke when i moved house, cover plan paid out but only £120, because you can now get a s-vhs for that price. I was not to happy about this but it is a 'like for like' plan.

6. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    DIXONS????????? Blimey - be VERY VERY CAREFUL indeed if you are thinking of buying from them - due to their very, very poor reputation. And I would personally stay W E L L C L E A R of "Coverplan" with them - it is a total shambles - believe you me, from bitter personal experience.

If you want to get an item of this nature insured, I would:-

a) purchase elsewhere outside the DSG (Dixons/Currys/PC World) - Sony dealers are good and comparable prices quite often nowadays...

b) Try looking online at Domestic and General - they will insure any new DVD recorder and are MUCH MUCH better if ever you need to use them.

Please, please - heed my advice.

7. knotpc

knotpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've been using Domestic and General for all my extended insurances and have had to claim on lots of occasions.

You phone them, they tell you who to contact with a reference number and bingo it's sorted, usually repaired,but they couldn't fix my reciever last year(it wouldn't recieve the remote signal) after getting a new remote they then sent me a cheque for £300 pounds to buy a new one.

They didn't want the old reciever and asked me to dispose of it. We are still using it in the spare room minus remote feature.

Unfortunatey they seem to have got more expensive but must be a much better option than Dixons! :beer:

8. Saxon

Saxon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    These coverplans are a ridiculous rip off - forget them. If you need accidental damage cover then by far the cheapest way of providing it is through your household contents insurance anyway. I also can't believe that anybody thinks it's worth paying £60 for a bloody £200 DVD recorder to be covered for 5 years - lets face it in 5 years time you'll probably have replaced the thing with a high definition blue ray recorder or be recording everything straight onto a media server hard-drive. By that time you will be able to buy a brand new DVD recorder for £30 anyway!! You're paying £60 to insure something that will be worthless in 2 years never mind 5!!

You have to ask yourself why Dixons etc push these policies so hard everytime you buy something - because they make more profit on these than on the stuff they're selling.

Incidentally I used to work for an insurance company (Royal Insurance - now called More Than) - if you want accidental damage cover then do it through the likes of them, not some crappy Dixons scheme on each individual appliance in your house!

Saxon

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,987
    I'd agree with Saxon.

1: Your home contents will probably cover accidental damage. Check the policy. Consider adding this cover if it doesn't.

2: The 3 year "free" warranty is clearly the better value. If the shop wants to sell you the goods, then they should write on the receipt (e.g.) including 3 years warranty (or similar).

10. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    People seem to have missed the Richer Sounds SuperCare option posted by 'Fred the Ted' above. You can have your machine serviced as many times as you like in the 3 year period, get a replacement machine whilst repairs are made, and 'like for like' is on features not price. You also get your money back at the end of the period if the warranty hasn't been claimed.

As long as RS have the machine you want, I can't see how you can get much better than that.

11. felix2

felix2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I agree with Saxon and LV426 above. £60 to cover repairs on a £200 electrical home appliance would need very bad odds on the machine going wrong. (Ask the retailer if there's really a 1 in 3.5 chance of the machine being faulty!!!) If you feel you need extra cover, go for one of the 3 options people have suggested - inclusive "free" 3 year parts & labour from the retailer (e.g. Sony), - or Richer Sounds Supercare, where I think they refund your (small) premium if you haven't claimed, - or pay a small premium on your normal home contents insurance for accidental damage on appliances.

But all this is forgetting your statutory consumer rights, which include the product must be "fit for purpose". Although the law doesn't specify how long a product should last, a general rule of thumb for electrical home appliances is often taken as 5-6 years. Which means if it breaks down in half that time (2-3 years), you'd probably still be legally entitled to roughly half the repair costs, or half the current market value refunded, from the retailer! Not that the retailers are usually too happy to agree to that! You have to weigh up what you think it's worth, and the hassle factor etc...