DVD Recorder jargon

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dolbyz, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Dolbyz

Dolbyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm very new to DVD Recorders ... haven't got one and have no idea what I want! But, what do people mean by ...

Time slip
    Buffer
    Chase Recording

How does PAUSE live TV? When you click PAUSE on the remote, does the HDD start recording? And if you press it again, you start watching what was just? Can you rewind? ;)

Also, heard that some machines record automatically (Philips and JVC) - don't you run out of space, or does it delete automatically as well? When you want to record - is there space available then?

Last thing - what if the HDD gets corrupt. Can you replace them? Can you replace them anyway, like with a bigger HDD?

2. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Welcome. If you can afford it I suggest you should get a DVD recorder with a HDD. My own preference is one that will record on DVD-RAM for the versatility and longevity of the media, but I'm sure not everyone will agree with me.

Time Slip
    Chase Play

These refer to the same thing, the ability to play a recording while it is being recorded. If you start off playing as close as possible to the point that is being recorded then you will be watching almost live. If you move the point you are watching back through the recording, the point you are watching will be delayed relative to the live recording. Panasonic call this Time Slip and Pioneer call it Chase Play.

Buffer

In general a buffer is a temporary storage area that is continuously written to and the oldest data is overwritten. Some recorders reserve part of the hard disk as a buffer for temporary recording, which takes place automatically as soon as you switch on. JVC call it Live Memory. If you miss a goal for example you can search back through the buffer, replay the goal, and then either continue watching slightly delayed, or fast forward to the live point again.

Pausing live TV uses the buffer too. If someone knocks on the door, you can press pause and go to the door, then when you return you press play and continue watching. The size of the buffer determines how long you can pause for.

The buffer is normally limited to a small part of the hard disk, so there is plenty of space for recordings.

Note that the contents of the buffer are not normally saved in any way, but with JVC's Live Memory you can record something you just watched by rewinding back into the buffer and then pressing record.

With most machines the HDD can be replaced, but there is no benefit in trying to fit a larger HDD because the operating system will not use the extra space. In some cases part of the operating system may be installed on the HDD, in which case the HDD can only be replaced if the replacement has a copy of the operating system on it. This is the case with JVC VCR+HDD recorders, but I'm not sure about their DVD+HDD recorders.

I hope this helps and that I haven't introduced too much extra jargon.

3. gobstopper

gobstopper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Try this for size. I find that it covers most of the DVD recorder jargon and gives you a pretty good understanding of the different types and what they'll give you.