1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Recorder into AV32R

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Spenny, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Spenny

Spenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have just replaced my Panasonic SVHS Video Recorder with a panasonic DMR-ES10 DVD recorder.

My NTL Digital Box feeds into the DVD Recorder via 21 pin Scart and the DVD recorder is attached via optical link to the MD Input on the AV32R.

I receive surround sound from TV Broadcasts, however, only stereo on playback. Altering the surround mode on the AV32R doesn't resolve this problem.

Should I be getting Surround Sound from DVD recordings? If I connect analogue cables to the Audio Output of the DVD recorder to a spare line in on the AV32R will this get me surround sound?

Any help would be apreciated.

Spenny

2. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    The panasonic records in stereo, so anything recorded and played back will be in stereo.

3. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    From Panasonic Website

Audio
    Recording System Dolby Digital 2.0

Input - Audio In
    AV1 /AV2 (21 pin) AV3 / AV4 (pin jack)

Output - Audio Out
    2ch,AV1 /AV2 /21 pin),Audio out (pin jack)

Output - Digital Audio Out
    Optical terminal (PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS, MPEG)

4. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Are you saying nothing at all.
    If you are getting something out of the center then decoding is taking place. It would (normally) indicate an almost 2 channel mono presence, with everything breaking down to center and very little "phasey" info present for the normal extraction of surround info.
    If you are saying that all you are getting is L/R then i would be inclined to say there is a high possibility of user error somewhere.

5. Spenny

Spenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Steve

I'm getting just stereo, with the only two speakers L & R lit up on the AV32R display, no matter what surround mode I select.

Someone has suggested on a different forum that as the DVD recorder records in DD 2.0 I won't get surround sound when using the optical digital into the AV32R. He suggested that I connect up the analogue out to the AV32R for playback which should get me surround sound!

I'll give it a try anyway!

6. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    You SHOULD be able to engage any of the surround programs regardless of Toslink/Spdif.analogue input, DD/PCM.
    I am wondering if you have something in a menu somewhere that is selecting Direct?

7. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Steve EX is correct, regardless of the input you can change the output mode, ie: 2 channel input to 7.1 output if you press the "surround" button.

What happens when you press "surround" (think it satys surround, it may say mode?) can't remember I am in the office.

8. Spenny

Spenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    When I press surround, the display just shows the two speakers no matter what surround sound mode I try and I get stereo sound!

9. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    This may be one of those strange occasions when the AV32R shows you via the speaker symbols what the incoming sound format is rather than what the ouput via the speakers is.

does the Dolby DD symbol show when you play the DVD?

10. Spenny

Spenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Not sure, I'll have a look tonight when I get home!

11. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I have a few DVD's that although they use DD encoding only contain a 2.0 sound track ie: Dangermouse.

These always show as 2 speakers only, but display the DD symbol at the top of the display.

12. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hmm, if I remember correctly, if you press Shift + Surround in AV mode you'll be shown a screen that shows input 2 speakers goes to output 7 speakers (in a 7.1 setup) depending on the surround mode engaged.

Cheers

13. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I checked on mine last night with a Panasonic recorded disc on 2.0 DD.

the screen shows 2 speaker symbols and you can change mode by pressing "surround", but the screen nvers changes from 2 speakers, the output from the other speakers ie: centre, rears and sub differ by mode and by what the algorithm can extract from the source, in some circumstances it is very little.

14. Spenny

Spenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I recorded some music this morning from MTV to test out the DVD Recorder again and found that it did actually playback in surround sound despite only showing two speakers on the display :D

Sorted :thumbsup:

15. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    In the AV32R SP the logic for the front panel channel indicators is a bit wacko. If it's a PCM input then it shows the number of channels generated from the surround mode (eg. TMS5 will show L,R,C,SL,SR). However if it's an encoded format like DD or DTS then it shows the number of channels in the input stream. If it's DD2 then L,R will be lit independent if you are applying prologic(2) to it. There are also some exceptions to the rules as well to add extra confusion!

In the AV32R DP and AV192R I sorted this crazy logic out. The channel indicators show the channels that have active audio on the AV processors outputs. The logic is consistent and doesn't vary on type of surround mode or input format.