DVD Recorder - I want one... don't I?

ChrisOfTheOT

Standard Member
Reaction score
I just can't wait for the Toshiba SD-520E to come out and no-one has the '510.

So - I'm looking at a DVD recorder since they seem to have got much cheaper recently. Good plan? Yes?

I must have component video out (and in presumably!), Dolby 5.1 record and a good picture quality - at least on a par with the Tosh. anyway. Progresive scan would be nice but I can live without it and I'm not too fussed about format as everything will be played on the unit it was recorded on. (Things like 'time-slip' are not needed but picture quality is.)

It's going to go with my Yamaha AX-630 amp, Toshiba 36WD26 TV & Sky+... and spending £1000 would be too much! Any observations from owners would be most interesting.

Thanks,

Chris

Youll be lucky to get a DVD R with 5.1, most have no optical in. Its an attempt to prevent copying

Shame about Dolby 5.1 record! (Looks like I'll have to make do with stereo & Pro-Logic II...)

But what's happening with the component video connections? I see from the DMR-E30 thread that Philips & Panasonic are releasing country specific models and that means UK models of the R-30 & Philips 980 (or '90, or do I mean 890...?) loose componet connections!!

Surely DVD is a format that lends itself to component video? What IS going on here?

Chris

But the scart is such a wonderful connection. Whats the problem?:D :D :D

Whats going on is standard practice offer the minimum and then offer the deluxe at a premium when everyones bought the minimum. And with europe being cursed eith the scart we are ideal upgradeitis fodder.

Originally posted by nunew33
But the scart is such a wonderful connection. Whats the problem?:D :D :D

Whats going on is standard practice offer the minimum and then offer the deluxe at a premium when everyones bought the minimum. And with europe being cursed eith the scart we are ideal upgradeitis fodder.

Well, that's the modern system really, not pretty but we all fuel it to a greater or lesser degree... It just ticks me off that the configuration I want is available, but not to me!

How much better is the component connection than SCART-RGB anyway?

Cheers (and sorry for the delay!),

Chris

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom