1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Recorder - I want one... don't I?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ChrisOfTheOT, Sep 4, 2002.

1. ChrisOfTheOT

ChrisOfTheOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just can't wait for the Toshiba SD-520E to come out and no-one has the '510.

So - I'm looking at a DVD recorder since they seem to have got much cheaper recently. Good plan? Yes?

I must have component video out (and in presumably!), Dolby 5.1 record and a good picture quality - at least on a par with the Tosh. anyway. Progresive scan would be nice but I can live without it and I'm not too fussed about format as everything will be played on the unit it was recorded on. (Things like 'time-slip' are not needed but picture quality is.)

It's going to go with my Yamaha AX-630 amp, Toshiba 36WD26 TV & Sky+... and spending £1000 would be too much! Any observations from owners would be most interesting.

Thanks,

Chris

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Youll be lucky to get a DVD R with 5.1, most have no optical in. Its an attempt to prevent copying

3. ChrisOfTheOT

ChrisOfTheOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shame about Dolby 5.1 record! (Looks like I'll have to make do with stereo & Pro-Logic II...)

But what's happening with the component video connections? I see from the DMR-E30 thread that Philips & Panasonic are releasing country specific models and that means UK models of the R-30 & Philips 980 (or '90, or do I mean 890...?) loose componet connections!!

Surely DVD is a format that lends itself to component video? What IS going on here?

Chris

4. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    But the scart is such a wonderful connection. Whats the problem?:D :D :D

Whats going on is standard practice offer the minimum and then offer the deluxe at a premium when everyones bought the minimum. And with europe being cursed eith the scart we are ideal upgradeitis fodder.

5. ChrisOfTheOT

ChrisOfTheOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, that's the modern system really, not pretty but we all fuel it to a greater or lesser degree... It just ticks me off that the configuration I want is available, but not to me!

How much better is the component connection than SCART-RGB anyway?

Cheers (and sorry for the delay!),

Chris