Dvd Recorder/humax Pvr/freeview Box Combination?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by P Adams, Apr 27, 2007.

1. P Adams

P Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi All

My friend at work has an out-of-warranty Humax 8000T PVR (hard drive problem). It's probably not worth replacing the hard drive as his girlfriend isn't convinced by the reliabilty of it so he wants to buy something else

He would like to have two freeview tuners, plus be able to record to a hard drive, plus also archive to DVD disc

What are his options, allowing for the fact that there is only a Sony DVD recorder with two digital tuners (a little too expensive for him) around at the moment?

Could he buy a DVD recorder with a hard drive plus one digital tuner and link this to a freeview box? Or do you need two aerials or a splitter box or something?

Any help would be appreciated

Paul

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Are you sure there is such a unit available as a DVDR with twin tuners?? It is a mantra on this forum that there are no such devices available in Europe... [ Only in Japan] ...and if there was, it would be big news and I think we would all know about it.

The second option you suggest is acceptable. You don't need two aerials. The devices are simply daisy-chained.

3. P Adams

P Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Sorry I am probably incorrect on this but my work collegue mentioned a Sony RDRHXD1065 with 250GB HD DVD recorder and twin digital tuner

That's the problem with reacting too quickly at work on info not checked out at home!!!

If he can daisy chain products that will be fine. I have a Sky+ box and Panasonic EX85 but obviously that takes two aerial feeds

Paul

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Hi Paul

We can breathe again :)

That Sony unit appears to have a dual Analogue / Digital tuner... not a twin digital , which is probably where the confusion has arisen.

5. Knox

Knox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I use a Standard Definition Set Top Box
    and a Standard Definition Personal Video Recorder
    Both connected – scart to svideo through a Crest svideo switching device
    To my television
    I don't use analogue at all

So when I'm recording a program on the PVR I can switch to the STB to watch a different program as inevitably the two programs I want to see are on at the same time :(
    You could do exactly the same with a Panasonic DMR-EX85 or similar and a good quality STB

THE Crest svideo switching device is a mechanical device with up to four inputs for S-video and stereo audio
    The video output is connected to the S-video socket on the TV by an S-video lead and the audio by a double RCA lead

As Gavtech said i just connect the antenna to the STB and then one of those separate antenna leads from the STB to the PVR (in your case the Panasonic DMR-EX85 or similar recorder)

Hope this is helpful !

6. P Adams

P Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi Gavtech and Knox

Thanks very much for the advice. My friend is now looking into purchasing a twin digital tuner Humax hard drive PVR and a Panasonic or Sony DVD recorder, so I think we have sorted him out!:clap:

Paul