DVD recorder HHD advice etc

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ladypickers, Feb 12, 2005.

1. ladypickers

ladypickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We are about to buy a new setup please advise if possible if what we are going for is good or if there's anything we haven't accounted for.
    Pioneer PDP 435XDE
    DVR-920H-S Hdd DVD 250gb this is DVD-R not + & -
    or
    DVD-720H-S HDD 160gb this is DVD-R not + & -
    or
    RDX-HX1000 HDD DVD 250gb this is DVD + & - which to me seems better & does anyone one who which would be better

We also dont know whether we need an amp or receiver or does the tuner that comes with it do everything that the amp or receiver does. Alternatively can you buy the plasma without the tuner that comes with it and replace it with the amp or receiver. :rolleyes:

Also we were thinking of buying the Bose Acoustimass 15 Home Cinema Speaker System (it says you need receivers from 10 - 200watt per channel) - :confused:. I've heard that they are really good, are they alright on there own or do you really need to buy Bose's complete system. What I though was to just buy the speakers and use other equipment or is that a waste of money.

Also should I get the speakers that you can buy with the plasma

All advice gratefully received, going to Tottenham Court Road tomorrow to look :thumbsup:
    Is there anything else I've forgotton. Also does anyone know if all this equipment will work in Australia as we may be emigrating next year & will all this work with my Sky box.

Thank you thank you

Sarah

Make-up Artist

Sorry not so hot with TV's, Computers and building more my sort of thing :laugh: :laugh:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Seek advice on the choice of Plasma in the Plasma Forum - the person you really want to speak to there is HornyDragon.

The machines you list will work as DVD players but will not provide surround sound without a receiver/home cinema setup. Again you should seek advice in the Receivers forum on that issue.

As for which DVD recorder to go for I suggest having a look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature. Do note that a DVD recorder will not give as good a picture as a dedicated DVD player!

What I suggest is you do is to determine how much you want to spend on each component: screen, surround sound setup, sources (DVD player and/or recorder, CD player etc) - and then seek advice on each component with the sub-budget you have set.

3. ladypickers

ladypickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've posted this reply on the thread.
    thanks for that, think I've narrowed things down abit, went TCR this morning to see my mate who normally sorts me out with everything. This is what he advised

Pioneer PDP 435XDE (which we really liked over the Panny)

He said that the Pioneer DVR-920H was good but too overpriced just to get HDMI feature and suggested getting Pioneer DVR-720H-S & spend the money on better component cabling. He said to go for Pioneer VSX-D814-S receiver or if still available the Pioneer VSXD-912 which although older is better spec than the 814.

I am getting mixed reports regarding loss of quality using a DVD recorder for playback. The general concensus is to have a stand alone DVD player as well. I still have my old Pioneer DV530 would that be good enough or do I really need another one like the DV-470-S or does it need to be better

Than as far as speakers are concerned because I want small speakers he suggested going for the Pioneer S-VLF5 or S-VLF3. But having spoeken to someone else they suggested the Infinity Oreus. I didnt get a chance to listen to them but they said they didnt rate the Bose and that these were much better if I was looking for small speakers. As the subwoofer has has a 100 watt amp would I still need the receiver.

I'll still be running Sky as well.

Any more advice greatly appreciated.