dannyds2000

Standard Member
Hi,

My parents are looking at buying a DVD recorder, the general requirements are

- VERY easy to use
- Can record from Sky
- Price from £200-£400
- Colour black

They were considering the Panasonic DMR-XS35OEB-X !?!?

I suggested they hold off whilst I asked the experts!

Help appreciated

Ta
Dan

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi,

My parents are looking at buying a DVD recorder, the general requirements are

- VERY easy to use
- Can record from Sky
- Price from £200-£400
- Colour black

They were considering the Panasonic DMR-XS35OEB-X !?!?

I suggested they hold off whilst I asked the experts!

Help appreciated
Ta
Dan

Hi Dan

One important point to ask is : What kind of receiving system do they have, because the 350 is a Freesat receiving unit that will require a dish installation.

Is that what they really want to consider or are they requiring a Freeview based DVDR?

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi,

They currently have sky....this is what they want to record.
thanks

In that case are you sure a DVD recorder is what is required?

If all they wish to do is record sky then a dedicated Sky+ PVR may suit them better, as this would allow the recording of one sky channel whilst recording another.

A DVDR is only required if permanent archiving and disc facilities are required.

Any DVDR will record programmes from Sky... [ provided they are not copy protected which some are] ...that is not the critical factor

The reason I asked about the type of reception they have, is a DVDR will act as a receiver of itself and may have useful additional function [ alternative source], above just being able to record from sky.

The 350 mentioned is a unique recorder based on the freesat system but most DVDR's are tied to the Freeview platform ... which requires a conventional aerial and being in a reception area.

Do these factors affect the choice of unit?

dannyds2000

Standard Member
Thanks for the info.

They also want to use the player to write dvds from a camcorder...This function is key really.

I also think they would want to record some sky programmes to dvd...

Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom