• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes. We're still rebuilding the database indexes, so searches won't be reliable for a few hours, but we feel it's more important to bring the forums back online. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post. Thank you for your patience.

DVD Recorder, help please

dannyds2000

Novice Member
Hi,

My parents are looking at buying a DVD recorder, the general requirements are

- VERY easy to use
- Can record from Sky
- Price from £200-£400
- Colour black

They were considering the Panasonic DMR-XS35OEB-X !?!?

I suggested they hold off whilst I asked the experts!

Help appreciated

Ta
Dan

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi,

My parents are looking at buying a DVD recorder, the general requirements are

- VERY easy to use
- Can record from Sky
- Price from £200-£400
- Colour black

They were considering the Panasonic DMR-XS35OEB-X !?!?

I suggested they hold off whilst I asked the experts!

Help appreciated
Ta
Dan

Hi Dan

One important point to ask is : What kind of receiving system do they have, because the 350 is a Freesat receiving unit that will require a dish installation.

Is that what they really want to consider or are they requiring a Freeview based DVDR?

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi,

They currently have sky....this is what they want to record.
thanks

In that case are you sure a DVD recorder is what is required?

If all they wish to do is record sky then a dedicated Sky+ PVR may suit them better, as this would allow the recording of one sky channel whilst recording another.

A DVDR is only required if permanent archiving and disc facilities are required.

Any DVDR will record programmes from Sky... [ provided they are not copy protected which some are] ...that is not the critical factor

The reason I asked about the type of reception they have, is a DVDR will act as a receiver of itself and may have useful additional function [ alternative source], above just being able to record from sky.

The 350 mentioned is a unique recorder based on the freesat system but most DVDR's are tied to the Freeview platform ... which requires a conventional aerial and being in a reception area.

Do these factors affect the choice of unit?

dannyds2000

Novice Member
Thanks for the info.

They also want to use the player to write dvds from a camcorder...This function is key really.

I also think they would want to record some sky programmes to dvd...

Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom