Dvd recorder/HDD with freeview or without?

markieuk

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am looking to get my parents a dvd recorder/HDD for xmas and was wondering if one with freeview aswell is a better option.
They already have a seperate Freeview box and I just want to upgrade them from their video. I wanted a recorder that does both to disk and HDD to give them those options. I did decide between 2 recorders that ive found but cant really decide if its abit much getting one with everything on it.

How much easier/faster is it to record a program using a built in freeview/dvd recorder than using seperate ones?
Would they be able to set up their existing Freeview box to the recorder with built in FV and watch one thing while recording another? And if so what connections does the recorder need for this?

The 2 recorders I quite like are the Toshiba RD85DT
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=6788

And the Sony RDR - HXD560
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=62498

Both I can get for the same price. But if its just as easy to record programs using a seperate freeview box, is the extra money over a standard recorder/HDD worth it?

The benefit of getting the on baord freeview is that you will be able to record a different channel than what is being watched on your freeview within your tv.
The other benefit is that you do not have to leave the TV on to record. If it is a built in freeview receiver they have.
Hope this helps.

Wayne

I am looking to get my parents a dvd recorder/HDD for xmas and was wondering if one with freeview aswell is a better option.
They already have a seperate Freeview box and I just want to upgrade them from their video. I wanted a recorder that does both to disk and HDD to give them those options. I did decide between 2 recorders that ive found but cant really decide if its abit much getting one with everything on it.
How much easier/faster is it to record a program using a built in freeview/dvd recorder than using seperate ones?
Would they be able to set up their existing Freeview box to the recorder with built in FV and watch one thing while recording another? And if so what connections does the recorder need for this?

The 2 recorders I quite like are the Toshiba RD85DT
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=6788

And the Sony RDR - HXD560
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=62498

Both I can get for the same price. But if its just as easy to record programs using a seperate freeview box, is the extra money over a standard recorder/HDD worth it?

Welcome to the forum Mark

Yes it is definitely worth getting a DVDR with integrated freeview. To be able to record one freeview channel and watch another you require a minimum of two digital tuners somewhere in your system. Dual digital tuner DVDR's dont exist , so you could have that benefit by using your existing STB and getting a DVDR incorporating a freeview tuner.

Programming is generally easier [ very easy] when programming internally.

You would connect the STB to the DVDR via scart.
Ideally you want a recorder which not only has RGB in on its ancilliary scart but RGB pass through so that when wartching the external freeview box whilst the internal tuner is tied up recording, you will be able to view in the best possible quality.

I thoroughly support your thought of buying a unit that includes a hard drive. They are an absolute boon.

Thanks for the replies.

Hopefully having it all together wont be too technical for my parents.

Do either of the 2 recorders ive picked looked like they would be suitable?
They both seem to have 1 scart RGB connection and both seem to have their plus and minus points.

Thanks for the replies.

Hopefully having it all together wont be too technical for my parents.

it is actually much easier to operate if you have it all in one so it is a better solution.

Do either of the 2 recorders ive picked looked like they would be suitable?
They both seem to have 1 scart RGB connection and both seem to have their plus and minus points.

Generally the Sony has the better reputation. It has 2 scarts. I can't speak for the Toshiba.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom