DVD recorder/HDD WHAT TO BUY HELP

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ladypickers, Apr 11, 2005.

1. ladypickers

ladypickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking to buy a new DVD recorder/ HDD. Have been looking at the Panny DMRE85HEBS but not not sure whether this is the best to go for. Ideally dont want to spend more than about £400 but will if its really worth the money.
    I mainly want it for transferring stuff from Sky+ to DVD

This is what I am looking for and questions

1. Good quality recording & playback.

2. Which format is the best +,-, or both.

3. Lots of editing features. What I want it for is to transfer from my Sky+ HDD to the DVD HDD or to DVD. Sky+ although is easy to use for one button recording, it lacks the facilties to edit out adverts etc. Our HD is full of hubbys Keith floyds!!!, so no room for all my rubbish.

4.Ideally want it to be HDCP/HDTV compatable, HDMI and orDVI would be nice but only know of the Pioneer thats HDMI (£900 - I dont think so). I want it to be fairly furture proofed if possible

5. Is time slip needed if I have Sky+

6. 80gb hard drive is enough, already have 80Gb on Sky+.

7. Must be mutliregion (all regions)...lots of far eastern DVDs

8. Are there other playback facilities that I should be looking for i.e SD, MP3, VCD

Also can anyone tell me the differences between the panny E85, E95& E100 (other than HDD size)

If anyone can give me any advice and pros and cons I'd be gratefull.

2. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. ladypickers

ladypickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought the Panny E95 today...but about to throw it against the wall, the worst instructions I've ever seen and cannot get it to set up. When I play a DVD say on AV3 I then cannot watch anything else i.e. Sky on AV1 unless I first eject the disc....what a pile of s**t. Whats is with these manufacturers that make impossible for you to connect unless you have the relevent degree...I'm normally pretty good at sussing things out but this has baffled me. Are all the other makes as bad as Panny. Thinking of taking it back & getting a Pioneer 720...any suggestions

5. ladypickers

ladypickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well took the E95 back & changed it for the Pioneer 520 which p****s on the panny. Clear set up instructions, no loss of quality of Sky through the Pioneer, al together a fab machine. Panasonic over complicate everything, their instructions are poor & often wrong. Hope this helps anyone else

6. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Well I bought the Panasonic E85 which is similar to the E95 and have been amazed by it. Superb bit of kit and easy to use I've found. No problems setting up either. I connected it upto my Panasonic AE100 projector and found the progressive pal images superb even recordings. Its beautifully built in germany and seems a top notch bit of kit. I don't have direct experience of the E95 but from what I've read it adds a firewire connection and a larger hard drive over the E85 and not much else. My E85 cost me £245 (£20 off goodwill gesture as not quite as described) from pixmania and has a 2 year guarantee. Seems excellent value to me. I've used some cheap hyundai DVD-Rs with it that worked out at about 12p each and its had no problem recording them at high speed. I've tried the discs in about 5 different dvd players and they work perfectly in all of them. I couldn't be more happy with it.

Anyone looking to buy a dvd recorder/hdd combination should definitely check out the Panasonics as well as Pioneers etc I think.

7. gliderpilot925

gliderpilot925

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a DMre 100 by Panasonic. It's a bit of kit with enormous potential. Unfortunately the instructions are not clear. I agree with the earlier writer that you seem to need a degree in understanding Panasonic manuals.
    With help, I've managed to get it to do some very simple things. About 95% of what it is capable of is wasted because of the poorly writen manual.
    Contacting Panasonic is a waste of time and I wont buy Panasonic again if their manuals don't improve.