DVD recorder/ HDD/ PVR decision - help!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by psychobod, May 31, 2005.

1. psychobod

psychobod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI

I have read the Digital Recorder info site (thanks for this great resource!) but am still in a bit of a quandry.

I am about to buy a Panny TH-37PV500B and have NTL cable. I am trying to decide whether to take the bundled DMR-ES10 recorder, to buy the TV cheaper without the bundle (best I could find is Total Digital at £1800) and get a recorder/HDD combo, or to just get a decent dvd player with a PVR with HDD.

I currently am only looking at possibly archiving some VHS off my video, and recording the odd bit of TV to dvd, but mostly am wanting to stop being a slave to TV programme times (I ideally would like Sky+, but they ****** me off so much when i tried to purchase their product I swore I would never use them - well, maybe until HiDef transmissions start!), therefore would like the HDD recording ability. Playing dvd's, and thus a good PQ, is important.

The TV will have Freeview, and I have the NTL digital feed.

Also, I might at some stage get a digital camcorder so may want to dump onto dvd, although I have editing software on my computer (may want to copy dvd's).

With all this in mind . . .

1. Do I go for a good quality dvd player and wait for NTL to get sky+type pvr? (this might take months).

2. Would it be better to get a PVR with decent HDD and a good recorder, such as the ES10?

3. With quality concerns re the EH50, would the SONY RX510 be a better buy (can get this for £290 from Totaldigital)? Does this have iLink? And is the component feed progressive scan?

4. Would it be better to wait for an HDMI recorder/HDD?

5. And I am a complete newbie to the home cinema world (never even owned a dvd player before) so forgive this stupid question - if I get a recorder with analogue receiver, can I record from the TV's freeview digital signal?

Any advice on this choice would be MUCH appreciated - its been a nightmare deciding on speakers (went for the Canton CD50/Cd10/AS22), TV (decided to bite the bullet and go for the HD viera rather than get the PWD7, or waiting for the PHD8), am trying to get a Denon 2105 receiver (if I can find one in stock), and its just the dvd I need to decide on!

And I have been sitting on the LOTR box set for months now, and still haven't seen the third movie! (since the baby arrived, actually going to the cinema has been a no-go!).

cheers :eek: :lease:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    The first thing to note is that a dedicated DVD player will drive your screen better than any DVD recorder. You have a decent screen and you wouldn't be getting it's full potential by using a cheap DVD recorder with it.

Yes - but over via the scart connections, i.e. you would need to hook up the DVD recorder to your IDTV output or a seperate Freeview box. You would then be able to record the channel the TV/Digibox was set to. If you opt for a DVD recorder with an intregated DVB tuner (the only model currently available is the Sony GXD500) then recording from Freeview is much simplier as all you need to do is select the programme on the EPG!

The EH50 is a better DVD recorder than the 510 - across the recording modes programmes suffer from less artifacts. The 510 is a significantly better DVD player though.

3. psychobod

psychobod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Rasczak.

It seems the best thing to do would be to get a good DVD player now, and wait to see what NTL come up with, or get a Freeview PVR later.

Any advice on the DVD player - would be looking at about £200 max?

And would it be possible to record to a recordable DVD on a laptop from the viera? :confused: :eek: