DVD Recorder+HD+Ethernet

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Monty Burns, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Hi Guys

i'm trying to source a DVD Recorder, with a hard disk and ethernet connection. I have come across two, one by Panasonic and the other by Sony BUT they are rude prices.

For example the panasonic was 750+ USD. Now when you think that all I want is a Kiss Tech' DP-558 with dvd burner(say add 30 nuggets to the cost) or, Ellion DVR-950C 120Gb Hard Drive and DVD+RW with ethernet card (10nuggets).... 750+ USD is rude money and a hell of a rip off.

I understand that these added features require O/S or firmware updates but these manufacturers already have this technology in other players, just not combined. Surley, this combining of code would not add up to 300 USD price diference?

Does anyone know of any others or any other ways of doing this?

Cheers for any constructive replies :)

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    a PC? an MCE PC or mac mini would be ideal and about the right price

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    What functionality do you want over the Ethernet connection? There may be other CE devices you could use - although as HD points out a PC would what you want and more!

4. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Hey guys

cheers for the responses.

Basically i want to be able to play movies streamed from my fileserver (divx etc). Yes I agree a PC is the ideal soloution but:

its bulky (even a cube)
    its noisy (can be silenced but for a price)
    its generaly doesn't look like a "hi-fi" or AV/DVD player and sit nicely under the TV
    its pricey

Basically anything 300 GBP or over is a total rip off in my opinion. Specialy when you consider whats out there and the extra minor functionality does not require another 100/150 GBP per device of extra components. (yes i work in the IT industry :) )

Any ideas?

Tia

5. The Fiend

The Fiend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You could build a Small Form Factor PC (SFF) such as a Shuttle and they can blend in quite well with other AV equipment..... And you can put them together fairly cheaply

6. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I refer the honourable gentlemen to my post above his :)

Shuttles/Cubes are still gona be over 300 nuggets. Still makes noise unless you start buying disk silencing units, quieter PSU's and fans. Generaly a PC built to do this will be more complicated, running surplus services, be subject to viri (remember the ethernet ;-) ), require maintenance (defrag etc), require a keyboard and mouse, gives poorer quality for the cash and crash more (relativley speaking). None of this is required by a dedicated unit. Oh lets not forget that a monitor really would be needed to use Nero or similar to cut the disks, ever seen Nero on the resoloution of a TV!? *Maybe* you might want to upgrade the bios on a dedicated unit but thats about it.

I guess there are no reasonably priced units out there yet then? Maybe a seriously big hole in the market??

7. mrm3

mrm3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    looking for the same ...any luck?

thought the Kiss Tech' DP-558 would do it but just noticed as you said it does not have a dvd recorder

8. Kornmod

Kornmod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you will be able to transfer files from your PC to the KISS 558 wouldn't you be able to transfer the files the other way as well?? I would think so, anything else don't make sense, especially considering the small HDD in the 558. And if you're able to transfer files from to the PC why not just use a PC dvd-burner?? If you don't have one you can buy one for less than £25 (at least in Denmark where I'm from).

I agree with you. I doesn't make any sense not to put a dvd-burner in a HDD recorder.

9. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68