DVD Recorder from Sky+ HD without use of HD connections and only one SCART connection

That is correct, but, that should be already what you have, after removing the Sky box to TV Scart connection!
Should it? How? But there are two connections to the DVD Recorder here, and there was only one before, how can removing a Sky box make this?
Surely this is how I should be trying to set it up now, now the Sky box is a different (1 SCART lead one)?

P.S. I haven't attemped to set the DVD Recorder up since getting the new, 1 SCART lead, Sky+ HD box. I wanted to know the best way to do it, I temporarily only have a SCART from the Sky+ HD box to the TV.

Also what did you mean by that is correct, that is the correct set up I should be aiming for or it is correct that set up will be not as good quality?

Thanks.

Last edited:
My DVD Recorder is LG DRT389H in case that helps
It helps a lot, as it tells us what output sockets it has, and that it has terrestrial tuners.
That last point is relevant to my note "if the recorder has a tuner there'll also be an RF Aerial Out socket which will give the lowest possible quality" - and now we know that it could do so.
It has the three phono sockets for my original suggestion, and also an s-video socket which would be an improvement on the phono video, and component video sockets which would be better still, so does the TV have either of those?
In answer to your current question - it has two Scart sockets, one for output, one for input, and the Sky machine has two for output, one of them in RGB quality.
The only drawback to connecting from Sky RGB Scart Out to recorder Scart In, and recorder Scart Out to TV Scart In is that it might need the recorder to be on when you want only to watch from Sky.

..and the Sky machine has two for output, one of them in RGB quality.......

Oh dear......:rolleyes:

The OP has just upgraded to a HD box which only has one Scart - that is the original problem! (and no sneaky editing this time :devil:)

Regardless of how the TV is connected - by connecting the DVD recorder to the Sky HD box scart and setting the LG input to RGB the quality of your recordings should be better than your previous setup. The VCR scart socket on Sky boxes has only ever output composite video whereas the only scart on the latest HD box outputs both RGB and composite video.

Until you get the HD TV with HDMI connection connect your Sky box composite video and stereo audio phono (RCA) sockets to the TV using a scart to 3 phono lead (make sure that the phonos on the cable are connected to the scart as inputs (there are two types of cable connection input and output although some cables will do both and have a switch built into the scart plug). Connect your LG to TV via scart as in your last setup.

When you get your new HD TV make sure it has two HDMI sockets for connecting the Sky HD box and the LG recorder as this should improve the picture quality from the LG.

Yes, my only excuse is that I was replying to "what all of the SCART sockets on the DVD Recorder and the Sky+ HD box exactly do" - all of them, on the Sky "box".

connect your Sky box composite video and stereo audio phono (RCA) sockets to the TV using a scart to 3 phono lead
The TV could have three phono sockets for direct connection.

Last edited:
the Sky machine has two for output, one of them in RGB quality.
Was that a typo, my box is the latest Sky box, +HD 1TB, it only has one SCART?

In answer to your current question - it has two Scart sockets, one for output, one for input, and the Sky machine has two for output, one of them in RGB quality.

Output means the RGB one?

It has the three phono sockets for my original suggestion, and also an s-video socket which would be an improvement on the phono video, and component video sockets which would be better still

So it doesn't make any difference if the connections come from the DVD Recorder or the Sky+ HD box? I thought it did? Or does it depend on what it is your doing? But in some cases it doesn't matter, so the Sky+ HD box having so few connections can be (quite easily?) gotten around using the DVD recorder?

The only drawback to connecting from Sky RGB Scart Out to recorder Scart In, and recorder Scart Out to TV Scart In is that it might need the recorder to be on when you want only to watch from Sky.

Wow, that's really it!? That would be fine with it only going to be for a few months.

So just because (and I may have this completely wrong) to me you're sort of going backwards;

having the DVD Recorder SCART -> Sky box (even though this is the source, the picture is coming from here)

and then (connections wise (like in a straight line of connections), seperatly (like from the complete othe SCART even though on the same ox)) seeing that through, Other DVD Recorder SCART -> TV

rather than (to me) more logical;

getting the picture from the picture from the Sky box -> sending it the DVD Recorder

and then (kind of seperatly) seeing that, by other Sky SCART (this was when I had a 2 SCART box)-> TV

... doesn't alter the picture received, they are oth exactly and technical wise the same?

(I hope that made sence!)

Thank you for you help !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it was my mistake, which was why S N pointed it out - his "oh dear" and the comment about editing, were, rightly, directed at me, not you.

So, that covers your first two questions - they were due to my mistake.

I'm not entirely clear about "you're sort of going backwards", as my point there was that the recorder has three methods that are alternatives to Scart and HDMI for outputting video, and you can use any of them that has corresponding input sockets on the TV. They are the video phono, s-video, and component video, sockets.

And the last point IS correct: Sky Scart Out to recorder Scart In, and Recorder Scart Out to TV Scart In.

Last edited:
Oh right! Thanks for the explaination.

So just to 100% clarify

Sky Scart Out -> Recorder Scart In, and Recorder Scart Out -> TV Scart In
and
Recorder Out -> Sky Scart Scart In, and Sky Scart Scart Out -> TV Scart In

have exactly the same result.

Your "last point", that I said was correct, was
"getting the picture from the picture from the Sky box -> sending it the DVD Recorder and then (kind of seperatly) seeing that, by other Sky SCART (this was when I had a 2 SCART box)-> TV"
which I wrote as
"Sky Scart Out to Recorder Scart In, and Recorder Scart Out to TV Scart In".
In contrast the result of
"Recorder Out -> Sky Scart Scart In" <IF it had that!> "and Sky Scart Scart Out -> TV Scart In"
would be that you could not watch a recording as that would not pass through the Sky machine to the TV, and you could not record as you would have no output from the Sky machine into the recorder.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom