1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Recorder Formats

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sirjohnofbalham, May 15, 2002.

1. sirjohnofbalham

sirjohnofbalham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of taking the plunge into DVD recording but am confused by the different formats. The new Philips for example is DVD+RW and the Panasonic is DVD-R/DVD-RAM. Is there someone out there who can explain the differences and are there any advantages of one system over another? The machine will be used mainly to record TV programmes and play back my existing DVD collection. Many thanks in advance for any help.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    On the Philips player you can use DVD+RW and DVD+R. These work in some 'normal' DVD players (others can confirm how widespread compatibility is).

Pioneer use DVD-RW and DVD-R. DVD-R works on most standalone DVD players. I have no idea as the compatibility of DVD-RW.

Panasonic/JVC use DVD-RAM and DVD-R (like the pioneer). This format seems the most popular at the moment. It also has good editing facilities (for RAM, not DVD-R, disks).

The new 'DVD Multi' brand includes DVD-RW, DVD-RAM and DVD-R not the Philips format.

As for how good each is check out the Home Cinema Chocie Online for a review of the Philips and What Video TV for reviews of the Panasonic.

3. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
  4. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    sirjohnofbalham

To add to your confusion :) Try....

http://www.dv-info.net/cgi-bin/ib/ikonboard.cgi

and

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/cgi/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi

I have chosen the Panasonic E20 ( A beautiful baby it is ) Picture quality is great. Cannot comment on the other formats as I have not used them. Anyway I am hopelessly biased now :). If as you say you mainly want a DVD as a VCR replacement then the Panny is a dream machine in that respect. It will record and playback both at the same time.

If you want to make compatible discs for other machines to play back then you have the option of the DVD-R side of the machine.
    Make a DVD-R and put it in a compatible player and you can copy back to the E20 to your hearts content with no noticable loss of quality. It records vhs to DVD with great results. No quality loss apparant in fact quite the opposite as you finish up with a stable picture as opposed to VHS shimmer and shake and jitterbug polka. :)

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    DVD-RAM is intended the PC market and IMHO comes with a caddy (protective casing) though you can remove the caddy and use the disc in some standalone players.

DVD+R(W) and DVD-R(W) are competing formats for home use, backuped by two different "camps".

VHS/Betamax/Video2000 anyone? ;)