1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD recorder for doddery old people?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Saralikesjazz, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Saralikesjazz

Saralikesjazz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just had this e-mail from my old mum:

"We've decided to buy a Dvd player with recorder. We want one that is easy to understand and use, easy to tape from Freeview too - (which, as you know we've always failed to manage with the video-recorder, in spite of your notes.) What would you recommend?

Well, we're waiting for the built in DVDR / Freeview in October - or whenever - but they may not have that long... Any suggestions / advice much appreciated - experiences of other aged DVDR/Freeview :lease: users?

Thank you
    Sara

2. honey1997

honey1997

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have read in a HiFi mag that you should not buy a DVDR if you cant work out how to operate a Video Recorder properly.

3. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Up to a point Lord Copper! Viera outputs freeview via a scart to recorder (you can select whether output is terrestrial tuner, freeview, or whatever is being displayed on screen).

I can't believe this is unique to Panasonic, so maybe other integrated digital TVs would offer similar feature?

Yes you're stuck with problem of not being able to view a different freeview channel from one being recorded. For that specific problem I use a sony freeview box on another input to the tv.

Granted that all this may be a lot to cope with if you're a bit intimidated by technical stuff. I knwo how my in-laws would fare (or not)...

4. Ryu

Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
  5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    For heavens sake don't expect them to cope with a separate Freeview box and recorder.
    Either go for the Sony 500 or hang on for other makes later this year. If DVD recording isn't impotant look at a Freeview PVR (Personal Video Recorder) like one of these http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/pvr.html which only have hard disks but do have Freeview tuners built in. The Panasonic TUCTH100 is attractive but also the most expensive.

You'd have to get a separate DVD player if that is wanted, but they are available for around £40.

If there is a shortage of scart sockets then a simple scart switcher which you could easily label for them would solve that.

6. Saralikesjazz

Saralikesjazz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your useful (and occasionally harsh) replies. The doddery olds do have a separate freeview box & videorecorder at present - they've just never managed to record from BBC4...in spite of our instructions (and success on their machines - we don't live nearby). They video-record perfectly ok from terrestrial. I don't really think they should hang on, as they mainly want to watch DVDs - but do you think they might be better off buying a DVD player and a Freeview PVR as eddyad suggests? As well as being doddery they are also cheapskates, by the way, so the Sony 500 is probably out.

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Cheapskates = Humax PVR

8. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless they desperately need to archive stuff i'd skip the DVDR altogether

Just get a PVR - Hard disc recorder:

Twin Freeview tuners (record two channels at once & won't occupy any of their existing tackle)
    Built-in EPG for point 'n' click programming
    Perfect picture
    No Tapes - No Discs - No looking for space - No Hassle

Sub £200 - job done - they'll be delighted