Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

DVD recorder for doddery old people?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Saralikesjazz, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Saralikesjazz

Saralikesjazz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just had this e-mail from my old mum:

"We've decided to buy a Dvd player with recorder. We want one that is easy to understand and use, easy to tape from Freeview too - (which, as you know we've always failed to manage with the video-recorder, in spite of your notes.) What would you recommend?

Well, we're waiting for the built in DVDR / Freeview in October - or whenever - but they may not have that long... Any suggestions / advice much appreciated - experiences of other aged DVDR/Freeview :lease: users?

Thank you
    Sara

2. honey1997

honey1997

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have read in a HiFi mag that you should not buy a DVDR if you cant work out how to operate a Video Recorder properly.

3. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Up to a point Lord Copper! Viera outputs freeview via a scart to recorder (you can select whether output is terrestrial tuner, freeview, or whatever is being displayed on screen).

I can't believe this is unique to Panasonic, so maybe other integrated digital TVs would offer similar feature?

Yes you're stuck with problem of not being able to view a different freeview channel from one being recorded. For that specific problem I use a sony freeview box on another input to the tv.

Granted that all this may be a lot to cope with if you're a bit intimidated by technical stuff. I knwo how my in-laws would fare (or not)...

4. Ryu

Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    For heavens sake don't expect them to cope with a separate Freeview box and recorder.
    Either go for the Sony 500 or hang on for other makes later this year. If DVD recording isn't impotant look at a Freeview PVR (Personal Video Recorder) like one of these http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/pvr.html which only have hard disks but do have Freeview tuners built in. The Panasonic TUCTH100 is attractive but also the most expensive.

You'd have to get a separate DVD player if that is wanted, but they are available for around £40.

If there is a shortage of scart sockets then a simple scart switcher which you could easily label for them would solve that.

6. Saralikesjazz

Saralikesjazz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your useful (and occasionally harsh) replies. The doddery olds do have a separate freeview box & videorecorder at present - they've just never managed to record from BBC4...in spite of our instructions (and success on their machines - we don't live nearby). They video-record perfectly ok from terrestrial. I don't really think they should hang on, as they mainly want to watch DVDs - but do you think they might be better off buying a DVD player and a Freeview PVR as eddyad suggests? As well as being doddery they are also cheapskates, by the way, so the Sony 500 is probably out.

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Cheapskates = Humax PVR

8. JethroUK

JethroUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Unless they desperately need to archive stuff i'd skip the DVDR altogether

Just get a PVR - Hard disc recorder:

Twin Freeview tuners (record two channels at once & won't occupy any of their existing tackle)
    Built-in EPG for point 'n' click programming
    Perfect picture
    No Tapes - No Discs - No looking for space - No Hassle

Sub £200 - job done - they'll be delighted