DVD Recorder for £250

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dann, Aug 18, 2004.

1. dann

dann
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi
    I am looking for a reliable DVD recorder aroung the £250 mark, I have owned 2 philips recorders, Which I think everyone would agree are poor.

I am interested in the Sony GX3, I am not worried about changing formats & I use Sky+, so it will only be rare recording anyway.

My question is this, is there any reliablility issues with the GX3 and Is DVD playback of a good quality.
    If there are any issues with this model, Can anyone recommend a recorder.

NB: the recorder only has to be basic, No camcorder or hard disc etc.

Thanks for your time

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    No reliability issue and the quality will be excellent. A very good choice IMHO. It's available at bargain prices at the moment as well due to the imminent arrival of the GX3000 (the new, but effectively almost the same, model).

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    what display (TV) do you use?

4. dann

dann
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Philips 36pw9607 at the moment, But maybe upgrading to a flat panel at the end of the year, Why?

5. dann

dann
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you for your reply, I have search the forums before posting query, and found no real issues, I needed a straight confirmation though,
    Thank you

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    other units like JVC DR-M10 will up convert sky etc to component video, Panny players will too IIRC so if you had a plasma with no scarts etc worth the extra.

7. dann

dann
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your reply will look into the JVC DR-M10, Just out of interest would AVSales be a good place to buy from considering 'aftersales' if the unit would go wrong.

Cheers
    :)

8. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Having finally relented to buy into the DVD recorder scene after a chance discovery of a great deal on a Sony HTR-6000 package (which consists of a GX3 and a 'good for Gran' 5.1 receiver/speaker set), I have to say that you should put your fears aside :smashin:

I knew of the GX3's 'failings' relative to other recorders (specifically, a switch to a lower recording resolution beyond two hours (compared to approximately two hours and twenty minutes at full-resolution with other units) and an inability to use RGB and Component simultaneously); but having now used all recording modes, I don't think I should have previously given it more than a moment's thought. With a good source (which I now have, thanks to switching the Netgem Freeview box to RGB output), recordings range from 'as good as a live broadcast' (even with two hour recordings it seems very close) to VHS-level with the lower quality modes. Having said that, I still generally prefer the output of a high-compression GX3, compared to the output of my most recent S-VHS deck. I hadn't foreseen that! :eek: The picture may be relatively soft, but the lack of noise makes up for it - on a 29" screen, at least...

Factor in the GX3's picture settings, various forms of noise reduction, detailed DVD playback (relative to the already reasonable s-video output of a Pioneer player), and things are better all round.

I'll leave you with my friend's notable words...

"It's given your TV a new lease of life".

:thumbsup:

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Compared to three hours for most units - only the current generation Toshibas and Pioneers are as low as 2hrs 20mins - and Toshiba has improved on that for the RDXS34 by all accounts.

10. dann

dann
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for all your help, Going to order a GX3 when i get the next Pay Check!

Cheers