dvd recorder dmr e20

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mandarin, Jan 16, 2003.

1. mandarin

mandarin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bought panasonic dmr e20 january last year for £999 first in my area. good machine. massive gripe is this model finished being manufactured september to be replaced by the dmr e30 much improved minus the firewire port on sale for £390. either the dmr e20 was vastly overpriced or the dmr e30 is a steal. unfortunately that puts the value of mine around £275 second hand or for upgrading, this while still under guarantee. shop i bought from has a dmr e20 on sale at £899 but with a dmr e30 on sale at £440 there is no interest in dmr e20. salesman says compensation ought to be made but changing model no. probablly negates such occurrance happening. what are your thoughts?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,560
    Sounds like you did pay abit too much for the E20. That said it does have a more robust build than the E30 and has most of the features (I believe only the option to set FR by the menu and RGB in are missing).

3. pastie

pastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Time for a DMRE50 or 60 .......LOL

4. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467

The E30 much improved ? No I don't think so, it lacks a firewire input and is a much thinned out version of the E20. In order to hit that sort of price they had to make many changes including a redesigned consumer grade drive. The E20 had the DVD-RAM drive as they were using for PC's, so it is much the more robust of the two.

As with any 1st generation product you will always be paying top dollar for the privilege of being the first few to have such technology. But saying that you can still pick up E20's for between £400-500 new if you look in the right places. Of the two I would personally still go for the E20 purely on the grounds of build quality or the HS2 because of the features.

5. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I agree; I paid £720 last February for my E20; wish it had the slim line looks and the variable quality mode, but you pay your money for what's available at the time.
    We use the fire wire in a lot with teh camcorder, so a HS2 would be the necessary replacement; that's a lot of dosh to fork out again.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,560
    The E20 does have the variable rate mode but only if you use the Timer. When I used the E20 to copy from videos I would just the set the timer a few minutes ahead and, when it started recording, pressed play on the VCR. Not as convienant as using the menu but the end result is the same.

7. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Yep, that's what I do too, but it's far more tedious than it needs to be...