DVD recorder criteria for quality JPEGs?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Van Cortlandt, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Van Cortlandt

Van Cortlandt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’m ready to upgrade to a DVD recorder (preferably HDD), plus a new LCD TV, from VHS and an old CRT. These forums are a huge help, but a little learning is a dangerous thing for a non-technical newbie. So I’m still worried about making a big mistake in one area that matters a lot to me.

In addition to watching/recording TV and occasional DVDs, I want to play slide-shows of JPEGs from digital cameras and a quality transparency scanner. I propose to create these slide-shows on my PC and burn them onto CD-Rs (I gather that DVD recorders can have trouble with JPEGs on DVDs). I know I have to make sure that my DVD recorder has JPEG capability. I also (think I) know that I have to save my JPEGs as baseline not progressive. But what else do I need to look for when choosing a DVD recorder to ensure that my JPEGs look their best on a new LCD TV?

In particular:
    a) How can I take maximum advantage of an LCD’s resolution (it’ll be 1366 x 768, I expect)?
    b) Do I need to be sure of having specific DVD-to-LCD connections if I want to view good-quality JPEGs?
    c) Does DVI matter for JPEGs?
    d) Does the HD debate matter for JPEGs?
    e) Does progressive scan matter for JPEGs?
    f) Do I just need a DVD recorder which can display JPEGs, or would I get better-quality screen images if the DVD recorder could also handle VCD and/or SVCD.
    g) If the VCD/SVCD issue does matter, which would give me the best PQ?
    h) I’ve read that some DVD recorders take a long time to load the next JPEG in a slide-show. Is there anything to look for in the specifications to minimise this risk? (I have a lot of photos to handle, so I’d much prefer not to have to make low-res copies of each one just to view on my LCD).
    i) I’ve read that (the better) Panasonics only handle JPEGs on DVD-RAM, not CD-R. That sounds like a limitation – but is it? All things being equal, which system makes most sense for the long term? (I’d like to reduce the risk of having to re-burn all my photos at some future date.)
    j) I’m not too interested viewing images off an SD-card or a PCMIA card – unless someone persuades me that this is a far better solution than putting my slide-shows onto Cds.
    k) Does anyone have any especially-JPEG-friendly DVD-HDD recommendations? Or recommendations for JPEG-friendly non-HDD recorders?
    l) Not quite the right forum, I know – but does anyone have any particular 32 inch LCD recommendations for viewing JPEGs at high quality?
    m) And finally … what else haven’t I thought of? Where else might I go wrong?

Apologies in advance for some idiot questions (but I really have tried to make as much sense as I can of earlier exchanges on these forums...).

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I'll try and answer some of these..

a) How can I take maximum advantage of an LCD’s resolution (it’ll be 1366 x 768, I expect)?

Not quite sure what you mean, but having a higher resolution screen will mean better images than lower. My Plasma screen is only 852x480, but jpegs look good even on that. Your jpegs will be 4:3 format, so you'll want to adjust the aspect on the LCD accordingly.

b) Do I need to be sure of having specific DVD-to-LCD connections if I want to view good-quality JPEGs?

No. RGB or Component would work fine.

c) Does DVI matter for JPEGs?

I don't believe so.

d) Does the HD debate matter for JPEGs?

No, only that a HD capable screen will be higher resolution, and jpegs can be quite high resolution.

f) Do I just need a DVD recorder which can display JPEGs, or would I get better-quality screen images if the DVD recorder could also handle VCD and/or SVCD.

I see no reason you'd want to use VCD or SVCD. These are lower quality than DVD, and would be lower than viewing the jpegs directly. While it is true may recorders/players won't play a DVD of jpegs, you can create a DVD with a slide show on a PC, this will play and be better than VCD or SVCD.

h) I’ve read that some DVD recorders take a long time to load the next JPEG in a slide-show. Is there anything to look for in the specifications to minimise this risk? (I have a lot of photos to handle, so I’d much prefer not to have to make low-res copies of each one just to view on my LCD).

On my Toshiba XS32, jpegs ~700K load reasonably fast... you could take a CD into the shops and try a few models. I don't think you can see this from the specs.

i) I’ve read that (the better) Panasonics only handle JPEGs on DVD-RAM, not CD-R. That sounds like a limitation – but is it? All things being equal, which system makes most sense for the long term? (I’d like to reduce the risk of having to re-burn all my photos at some future date.)

Well, as DVDs hold more than CDs, and as burners become more common and the blanks cheaper, I can see data DVDs being used more and data CDs less over time...

j) I’m not too interested viewing images off an SD-card or a PCMIA card – unless someone persuades me that this is a far better solution than putting my slide-shows onto Cds.

SD card is easy for quick viewing... but you aren't going to use these for long term storage.

k) Does anyone have any especially-JPEG-friendly DVD-HDD recommendations? Or recommendations for JPEG-friendly non-HDD recorders?

Well, I'm happy with my Toshiba XS32 (replaced by XS34), with jpegs and as a DVD recorder. Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony all make good recorders. In terms of Jpeg performance, I don't know if there is much difference between them.

Mark

3. Van Cortlandt

Van Cortlandt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks, Mark. Much less confused now!