1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Recorder Conundrum.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by lodx, Dec 11, 2004.

1. lodx

lodx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    I am new here and not much of a Technophile.
    I have ordered Sky + and am looking for a dvd recorder home cinema package,preferably multi-region as well.(or can be made multi-region)I have heard of 2 systems.The Panasonic SCHT25R and the Philips LX7500.
    Are these any good?
    Also seeing that some dvds have a hard drive as well should i cancel my Sky +,can the dvd do all sky + can?
    Also what is the situation as of recording off of sky tv? can I do this with my dvd's hard drive etc.Can i transfer from sky + hd to my dvd to make hard copies?
    Lots of questions I know,but would really appreciate some help.
    Thanks
    Lloyd

2. srobbo999

srobbo999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The hard drive on the DVD recorder cannot do all that Sky+ can do, it will not be able to record 2 sky channels at once or allow you to watch 1 sky channel and record another. It will allow you to watch record terrestrial tv whilst you record sky or vice versa. You can transfer recordings from your Sky+ to your DVD recorder.

I have sky+ a dvd recorder, I tend to record things on sky+ and then back them up on to dvd if I want to keep them. It works for me.

On another note, you say you have ordered Sky+, watch out if you have a plasma or 100hz tv set as the Amstrad boxes that Sky are installing at the moment throw up colour banding problems. If you have ordered via Sky themselves you will get an Amstrad box, if you have gone via a local installer you might try asking him to make sure he fits a Pace box, far better picture apparently. I ordered via Sky and now I am stuck with an Amstrad box with the above mentioned picture problems. :mad:

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    With Sky+ you can record two programmes at once, whilst watching one you recorded earlier. You can also time-slip by just a few minutes.

4. lodx

lodx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all.Will go ahead with the sky+ and get a recorder without a hard drive as it seems 2 hds would be extravagant!