DVD recorder connections

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Biamp, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Biamp

Biamp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a relative newbie I would appreciate some help.
    I have a Pioneer Plasma with media box. This has 3 Scart sockets, 2 of which are connected as follows : Input 1 (RGB) - Sky+ , Input 2 (AV/YC) - VCR on AV. The 3rd Input is a choice between RGB Scart or component - I have connected my DVD player via component, so can't use the Scart
    I am considering buying a DVD recorder to replace my VCR. I want to retain my DVD for playback, connected via Component.
    How do I connect the DVD recorder using its RGB Scart. According to the Sky+ manual the VCR Scart is only RGB in but not out.
    Also how do I record onto the DVD from the Sky+ Hard Drive without loss of quality. Is it just a question of choosing "copy" in the Sky + Planner menu ?
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Biamp

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,871
    Try this for an idea.

If you bought a recorder such as the Panasonic E50.

If the Sky has RGB out then connect it to AV2 input of the E50 (using the input that normally connects to the TV) and the E50 using AV1 to scart 1 on the TV and set to RGB. There is a setup menu to turn on RGB for both AV1 and AV2.

The AV2 will feed though the Recorder so Sky still appears on the TV. You then can record from the Sky box to the recorder using AV2 as the recording input chanel.

You then won't need to use the VCR scart on the sky box and the DVD player stays on Scart 3 using component. The VCR can then stay on scart 2.

The recorder has a external link that works with devices like sky/freeview boxes with a timer button (or sky planner). You set the timer on the sky box and press the external link button. The sky box will go on and then the recorder, it will record straight away and then switch off when the timer finishes.