dvd recorder choices

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by john92, Jan 15, 2004.

1. john92

john92

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello dvd recorder owners

I want some advise please on which make and models are the
    easiest to use.

As i am a complete novice to this game.

i had to send one dvd recorder back because i couldn't fathom out how to use the thing.

lets just say it was called philips dvdr70 something.

there must be a idiot proof one out on the market somewhere
    i dont mind about the price as long as it isn't over £500.

so has someone got any ideas please.

from john92

2. polsnulspace

polsnulspace
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: :smashin: hi friend!!! i also bought a philips dvd recorder not to long ago,and after numerous attempts to work it out,i gave up and sold it too. i'd always fancied the sony GX7 but quite frankly it was tooooooo expensive.even the later released GX3 still seemed a wee bit to dear,until the other day when i passed by a local comet store and spotted the GX3 at £299.95.i checked a few other comet stores and their price was £449.95.I HAD TO BUY IT!!! i got it home and it was up and running in 5 mins.ITS A WEE CRACKER.i recommend it,you just need to shop around a few comet stores to find the same deal!!!

SONY STR VA555ES
    SONY VLP HS10
    KEF EGGS 6.1
    PIONEER DV656A
    SKY+
    SONY RDR GX3:laugh:

cheers. Paul:lesson:

3. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a lot of people here like to point out the +RW's from Philips are aimed at less technically savvy people compared to the -RW and -RAM machines. Philips machines are also renowned for having user friendly interfaces.

So I think you will struggle with any DVDR. My advice would be to try a second hand TIVO hard disk recorder with a subscription to the programme guide. It's supposed to be childs play to use and it learns what you like and ends up recording things without you needing to ask. It will also record a whole season for a programme with the click of a button.

4. john92

john92

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    where would you suggest me looking for a secondhand TIVO HARD DISK RECORDER.

From john92

5. JackieDVD

JackieDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's been a few for sale lately on the classified adds here. Usually they go for about £180 without subscription to the programme guide - that's £10 per month or £195 for the lifetime of the machine.

Expect to pay more for hard disc upgraded ones.

7. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philips dvdr's really are as simple as it gets-just press record and away you go.
    The more sophisticated RAM/HDD/-R machines are probably not worth a look for a technophobe.
    If you don't want to actually archive stuff to keep,then Sky+ would be a better bet,and its actually available to buy.

8. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVDR70 is more or less exactly like a VCR to use if you use +RW disks, and it works with videoplus to make it easy to schedule recording. But even that's too complicated for me! I don't even have an aerial connected to the recorder.

With Sky, you can enable "satellite record" on the DVDR70, and set Sky to autoplay the program(s). The recorder will autorecord the programs.

With Sky+ it's just a matter of backing up recordings:
    • insert disk
    • Set sky+ to COPY the programme(s)
    • immediately press RECORD on the DVDR70 (or remote)

With or without Sky, you now have a VCR-like recording you can play back on most DVD players, OR:

You can "top and tail" your recording and skip the commercial breaks using the "edit" mode (button with scissors picture).

If you want to play the disk with edits on (almost) any DVD player you can select "make edits compatible" to finish off your DVD.

I in fact use +RW disks, and if I want to keep the result permanently, simply copy it to DVD-R on my computer as a final stage.

However, I am a beginner at this, and that's just the procedure I've worked out for myself.

9. Davidedwards

Davidedwards

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't get a Tivo !!!
    If you have SKY it will switch over when it decides you want it to record something you might like!!!
    Get SKY+ (it has 2 tuners - one to watch, one to record - or it can record two different programs at the same time whilst you replay a recording of a third program you recorded earlier !!!).
    Back this up with a Sony GX3 (easy set up and use) for long term storage of movies etc. and you're set! That's what I've got.
    My Tivo lasted 2 weeks before it drove me mad and I sold it!!!

10. JackieDVD

JackieDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could always have disabled this option if you didn't want it.

And the idea of tivo is that it hoovers up the programs you like. You never watch tv live unless it's something like a football match, so it doesn't matter that it switches channels.

11. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got a DVR 75 and find it easy to use. You can split titles, insert delete chapter points and when you make the disc "compatible" , even a most basic player will ignore the hidden chapters, so copying from master RW to DVD R is a set up and go facility. For £219, a real steal.

12. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should see what a RAM or -RW machine can do then,and they are only about £20 dearer

13. guires

guires

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which (-RW) machines are you referring to that are £20 more than the Philips?

I'm busy reading your 'discussion' sticky on this forum about the whole +R versus -R issue (page 12 so far and very interesting!) and would like to compare a -RW machine with the Philips +RW machine.