DVD Recorder Choice

BlueNose66

Standard Member
Reaction score
Looking at two recorders at the moment, one is the JVC DRMX1EK which has a built in VCR and Hard Disk but only records to DVD-R & DVD-RW.

The other box is the PANASONIC DMRES30V with a built in VCR, but the recording formats of the following DVD-R, DVD+R, +R DVDs, DVD-RW and -RW DVDs.

Basically I have a load of old videos I want to transfer to DVD, but I want to play them on a new Denon 1920 which comes on Friday (touch wood), which one will allow me to play the recorded DVD's onto the Denon also I have an old JVC player that other people in my house may want to watch these recordings on?

Sorry to ask a dumb question but I am a bit of a newbie to all this. :lease:

DVD-R/DVD-RW is the "standard" format, i.e. very similar to commercial DVDs and should play on any recent player.

DVD+R/DVD+RW will play on most very new players but will not generally play on older players.

Basically, to ensure the best compatibility, record them on DVD-Rs in Video (not VR) mode.

BlueNose66 said:
Looking at two recorders at the moment, one is the JVC DRMX1EK which has a built in VCR and Hard Disk but only records to DVD-R & DVD-RW.

The other box is the PANASONIC DMRES30V with a built in VCR, but the recording formats of the following DVD-R, DVD+R, +R DVDs, DVD-RW and -RW DVDs.

You missed out the most important part - "Don't they both record and play DVD-RAM"

ROYOLD said:
You missed out the most important part - "Don't they both record and play DVD-RAM"

I think you are right there. :thumbsup:

Told you I was a newbie :oops:

ROYOLD said:
Why is this capability considered to be "the most important"? The original poster wants to play his recordings on the Denon, which doesn't support DVD-RAM.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom