DVD Recorder - Capable of recording Sky+ DD sound

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kevz, Jun 17, 2004.

1. kevz

kevz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Having recently decided to upgrade my DVD player with something that would include the following options, I have now decided that a DVD recorder is probably the way to go:

Multi Region
    Progressive Scan
    Component Video Output
    Optical Digital Output
    Coaxial Digital Output
    DVD+R Compatability

Are there any recorders on the market that can record 5.1 sound from Sky+ for replay?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Kevz

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    If your looking for a DVD+R recorder (as opposed to just a machine that can play DVD+R) you will be limiting your options terribly - the 'plus' camp has aimed it's product range firmly at the bottom end of the market and has (yet) to make an impact on the middle/upper end. If you just looking for disks that will play on other DVD players then you should know that, out of the two largest DVDR tests done, DVD-R has by far the best compatibility (around 96% as opposed to DVD+R at just under 90%).

Quite a few DVD recorders have Progressive Scan playback, e.g. JVC, Toshiba, Panasonic. These not only let you watch DVDs in PS but also anything you watch through them, i.e. normal TV, VHS etc.

Needless to say Optical and/or Digital audio outputs can be found on all DVD recorders. And most can be purchased in multi-region. So I wouldn't let either of those influence your decision.

What you do need to do is decide WHAT you want to record from your DVD recorder (Freeview, Sky, VHS etc etc) and then we can give better advice.

No - currently there are none as producers simply do not see a market for it in the UK at present. I have to admit I can see their point - the only DD broadcasting is done on Sky Movies and everything on that can be purchased on DVD with better PQ etc. However it would be nice to have digital recording of stereo audio just for the (arguably) slight improvement in sound quality.