1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Recorder can't locate Stations via Digital Decoder Box - HELP ME !

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AFCWimbledon, Aug 2, 2005.

1. AFCWimbledon

AFCWimbledon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panasonic DMR -E55 DVD recorder that I bought in London. It works perfectly when connected there to an outside aerial and my video recorder.

Then I bought it to Sweden and I can't seem to get it to tune in to any TV channels via the cable lead. Unfortunately, I have no normal analogue indoor or outdoor aerial, only a cable lead which plugs into a UPC digital decoder box.

The normal setup before I messed things up was as follows:

A Philips TV with 2 scarts (Scart 1 can take RGB)
    A Philips video with 2 scarts
    A UPC digital decoder box with 2 scarts

TV Scart 1 to video Scart 1
    Decoder Scart(TV) to the TV Scart 2
    Decoder Scart(TO VHS) to the video Scart 2
    Cable lead to Decoder's Signal In socket
    Decoder's 'To TV/VCR' connector to the video's RF in.

All worked fine. I could tune the video in to the 20 or so analogue channels coming from the decoder and I could turn the decoder on and select a digital channel via AV2 on the video.
    Now that I've brought over the Panasonic DVD recorder, I've replaced the video and connections to and from it, and moved the DVD recorder into it's place. I can view the digital channel that the decoder happens to be on via the DVD's AV2 and I can play DVD's but I can't seem to locate any of the analogue channels. The DVD recorder keeps saying that there's no signal.

If the video player could function this way then what the hell am I doing wrong. I'm beginning to wonder if it can't pick up signals here because they are on a different wavelength or something. Trying to get any response from Panasonic themselves is like getting blood out of a stone.

If anyone can come up with a plan then I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance,
    John

2. Starfury

Starfury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I havent had experience with that particular model of recorder so I dont know how helpful this may be...

If you can manually tune the channels, then check which setting the 'TV system' or similar is set to.

If it was bought in the UK, it most likely is pre-set at the letter I.
    (Depending on the machine/make)
    'I' covers B21-B69 UHF, S1 - S20 CATV, s21-s24 hyper and s01-s05 CATV.

'BG' is the setting which usually covers Western European countries.
    It covers a different frequency range.
    E2-E12 VHF, E21-E69 UHF etc....

'DK' covers East European countries frequency range.
    R1-R21 VHF, etc...

'L' covers French frequencies.
    F2-F10 VHF etc...

I suspect your recorder should be set to 'BG' to receive analogue signals, but again I have no experience to qualify this.

I hope this is of some help.

3. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,914
    The UK uses the PAL "I" system broadcast on the UHF band.
    Sweden, I think, uses the PAL "G" system and may be output through your cable decoder on the VHF band I suspect..........if that is the case you can only view it through the scart connection as you stated.
    Incompatibility I'm afraid :thumbsdow

4. AFCWimbledon

AFCWimbledon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Starfury...
    That sounds like a very good explanation.
    It certainly rings a bell deep in my mind from years ago messing around with quite flash looking TV's. I certainly remember the 'I' and 'BG' designations.

This Panny model of mine doesn't seem to offer any 'TV System' configuration though.
    I've been trying to see what I can find on the net because this DVD recorder only counts through the channel numbers - 21 to 69 or something like that.
    Are the channel numbers themselves pre-defined frequencies that differ depending on the country that you're in then?
    If they are, and I can't seem to configure them in any other way, perhaps this model is worthless across the North Sea.

I can't believe that. Is there some sort of software/ flash update that can make the unit search through the frequencies any other way.

I can't believe I'm talking like this. Something that should be a piece of cake is prooving to be a head ****.

Are all Scart leads created equal? I'm clutching at straws???

Aargh !!!

5. AFCWimbledon

AFCWimbledon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jaycee...you've depressed me.

It seems that sharing the same broadcast standard ain't enough. The UK and Ireland use the PAL 'I' system and most of the rest of western Europe use the 'G' system or whatever it is. I feal cheated. I sent an email, months ago to some faceless global Panasonic support website, asking if things would work for me in Sweden and they said Yes.

Is there any way that I can force my DMR-E55 to recognize a different PAL standard?

Maybe through some flashware download or magic code or something? Otherwise I've wasted my money big time.

:lease:

6. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As another note, PAL I has a different frequency offset for the audio carrier (6Mhz as apposed to 5.5 apparently), so panasonic may use a completey seperate tuner for the UK market.

7. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,914
    All I can suggest is that you have a look at the specifications page in your user manual and see what TV system and tuning range is covered.
    Also find out from your cable company what your cable box is outputting on..........VHF or UHF and report back.

8. AFCWimbledon

AFCWimbledon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A close look at the specs say:
    Tuner System PAL-I
    Channel Coverage UHF Ch 21-68
    VHF Ch 4-13, A-J

I can't find any specs for the digibox in any of the manuals that I got for it.

So, the tuner is for the UK and Irish TV systems. Is there any such thing as a converter for the signals or something?
    I don't know, looks like I must throw in the towel on this one. At least I've learnt something new though.

9. mickrick

mickrick
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Or you could contact Panasonic (Sweden) Customer Services or on 46-8-680-2600. Alternatively, you could try Panasonic UK Customer Services.

10. AFCWimbledon

AFCWimbledon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've sent an email to Panasonic Sweden.

I'd just like to thank everyone on this forum who have replied to my questions.
    You've all been a great help.

Thanks a lot,
    John

11. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,914
    You're welcome. Good luck. :smashin:

12. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Can you select Country in the set-up? If so, choosing Sweden may change the PAL system.