DVd Recorder buying, reviews and other myths

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Gary D, May 9, 2005.

1. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    2 and a half years ago i bought my first DVD recorder a panasonic dmr-E50. A lovely machine that never gave me a hint of trouble. a couple of weeks ago i decided that it was time for a change and it would be good to have a HDD recorder instead. so after a bit of research i opted for the new DMR-EH50. a fantastic machine other than the firmware issue of machine recording on its own - it seemed to really like daytime telly :D ) so i swaped it twice but it had the same problem.

my next stop was the Toshiba RDR-XS32 - built like a tank and looking very nice indeed i thought i'd made a good choice - it looked comprehensive if a little over complicated - but that aside i was pleased.

over the weekend i stated to play with it - oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. i recorded some camcorder footage via firewire witha view to dumping it to DVD-R. it recorded to the HDD fine but when i tried to transfer it to disc it ran a little check first then told me it couldn't do it because it had 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratio footage in the same recording! it was rubbish the camcorded has been set to 16:9 from the day it came out the box so i have no idea what "test" it was making and why it could just burn what was there.

the next problem came with recording TV shows. recording to the HDD was fine everything worked perfectly - until i tried to again burn it to DVD-R. it then told me that "DVD compatibility mode" was not set for the recording so it would make the disc. i read the manual, only to find that this mode only records either the left or right sound channel and without it you cant burn the DVD!! :eek:

the third problem came on saturday night i recorded a drama on BBC2 and then match of the day straight after it - this was one recording from 9.20 to 11.50pm however, i could'nt devide the recording like i could with my old panasonic recorder all i could do was put a chapter stop in.

now my question is - why dont the reviews state these things? why dont they give you the info you neeed to make your choice? i read three reviews (2 from this site and 1 from What Hi Fi and none of them mentioned these problems indeed What Hi Fi stated it was easy to use :eek: )

the moral of this story is beware of bad reviews - even if they pretend to be comprehensive.

i've now settled for a DMR-85H and its lovely!!!

so beware!!!!

Gary

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Gary,

I have an XS32. I've not seen your first problem; though my camcorder footage as all been 4:3.

The DVD compatible mode thing is confusing and not very well documented, but what you have concluded is not correct. There are 2 parts to the DVD compatible mode. Firstly, and the important one, is that with it "on" it will always use a DVD compatible resolution. If it is off, it will use a non-compatible resolution for recordings made with a rate of 3.2 to 3.8 inclusive. When you turn it on, there are 2 choices of mode, and this refers to some use of Nicam in certain parts of the world where for multiple language support they put one language on one channel, and another on the other. This doesn't happen in the UK, so it is not relavent. If you set DVD compatible mode on, you will continue to get stereo recordings.

And for the 3rd point, while you can't divide the physical recording, you can create a playlist to do the same thing. You can split your recording in 2 parts and put half on one DVD and half on another.

It is true the XS32 is a bit complex to learn, and your last 2 points are evidence of this. These weren't really a problem. I don't know why you got the first point, but if you set the aspect to 16:9 in the DVD-creation menu rather than ask it to use the "original" format it would have created your DVD as 16:9.

Mark

3. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    thanks Mark,

i thought the tosh was overly complicated ( i work in IT so i'm not stumped by many things)

the points i made above were after i had read the manual - if it is unclear then there is very little i can do about that thats really tosh's fault. maybe if the maual had been clearer the tosh would still be under my telly :D

on the subject of the manual: one other thing i didn't mention was that the manual which is very large (its even bigger than my Amp's manual which is very complicated) has no INDEX!!!!

no INDEX!!!! how are you meant to find anything without an INDEX!!! :rotfl: i think tosh need to look at the ease of use that Panasonic recorders have and simplify their operation. I'm a big fan of Tosh, having had 3 DVD players from them and 36" telly over the years - but i felt let down by the XS32

Gary