Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

DVD Recorder Advice

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bbasra, Jun 27, 2005.

1. bbasra

bbasra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I need some advice on which DVD recorder i can buy which will input rgb for recording (from SKY+) and convert that signal and output it via component which i can plug into my denon amp. I understand that i may have to leave the dvd recorder on to pass the signal through.

i am after a dvd recorder like this because it will save my buying a JS Tech RGB Scart to Component YUV coverter for my Sky+ box as this costs £145 and a dvd recorder will cost me about a addional £50.

i would also like a firewire input so that i can connect my camcorder to it. i dont really need a harddrive as i have sky+.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,586
    This is one of the biggest misunderstandings in the AV industry. Please have a look at these two FAQs.

Most big brand DVD recorders will do this - Panasonic, new Sony models, JVC, Toshiba etc. However, depending upon your screen, none will do it nearly as well as a JS RGB to Component unit. It's a very subjective issue though: I have seen comments ranging from "the quality is significantly improved" to "it looks worse than composite".

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,493
    I totally agree with Rasczak here about hard drive requirements. I have Sky+ and a Panasonic E85 (with HDD) and I am so pleased I went for this rather than the one without hard disk. This weekend I recorded a lot of the Glastonbury footage on Sk+, some of which was 5 hours in length. To do anything with this on a DVD recorder without HDD would be very difficult due to the way in which you copy stuff from Sky+. With a hard drive you can just copy the whole lot across and then edit. I edited 7 hours of footage down to 2 hours.