1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Recorder Advice

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by vblue, Oct 14, 2004.

1. vblue

vblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy my first DVD recorder and am looking for some advice. I'm a big Sony fan, and most of my equipment, DVD player, VCR, Home Cinema etc are all Sony, with the exception of my plasma, Panny PW6.

My current DVD player is multiregion so was looking at the Sony GX3 multiregion. However, I keep hearing the words "progressive scan" which the GX3 doesn't have. My question is how big a difference does progressive scan make? And if it would make a significant difference can anyone recommend a reasonably priced (e.g. less than £300) DVD recorder with progresive scan and multiregion?

Thanks

2. bodders

bodders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The difference the progressive scan makes is incredible,
    my sony rdr-hx900 makes sky looks outstanding on my
    panny 6.Just make sure you set it to progressive video
    mode (outputs 525P).Picture looks razor sharp, incredible detail with no nasty side affects,like watching a 20" picture on a 42" screen is best way to describe it.
    Only problem is you cannot get a multiregion version
    for much less than £600.

3. vblue

vblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bodders, thanks for the feedback. I had thought progressive scan only applied to watching DVDs, but your comment suggests that it improves the Sky picture. How does that work do you connect your Sky box into your DVD rather than direct to your plasma?

Cheers

4. Lord Lucan

Lord Lucan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I bought Hx900 (MR) from RGB on Sat for £539. Agree with Bodders re PQ.

5. bodders

bodders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plug scart from sky digibox (make sure is RGB out scart )to line 3 in on sony recorder.Look in system menu on
    sony for progressive mode and select video mode.
    Enjoy watching sky in almost high definition quality.
    You have 2 progressive scan settings- video mode offers
    525p and auto mode 625p.Choose "auto" mode for playback of HDD and dvds (sky looks even better!)
    You will need component board on panny 6 for connection or you can use VGA input with a 3RCA to
    VGA connection cable and select component in settings
    on panny 6 for VGA IN.

6. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    please explain as it does not seem to make sense, surely the panasonic will convert the signal to progressive anyway, what do you gain by adding another stage to do the conversion externally?

7. bodders

bodders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The panny 6 as no inbuilt scaler.This is why you need a external converter/scaler or upconverter .

8. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    nope, i'm still confused. progressive/interlacing and scaling are 2 different things, infact if you are feeding a 42pwd6, then your are talking about downscaling because the panny can show fewer lines (480) than the original pal signal (576) which is nearly 20 % loss of detail. The only point that you may be making as far as I can see is that I dont think that panny does 2:3 pulldown on region 1 conversions.

I also find it hard to believe that the dvd recorder has a better de-interlacer than the panny plasma.

9. bodders

bodders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only can tell from my own home cinema setup, and that when i connect my sky digibox to the sony and watch in component with progressive video mode switched on in system settings on the sony,the picture quality is miles better than watching by my scart board or via a JS-TECH RGB-VGA adapter.The picture leaps
    out and shouts quality.The difference is amazing and
    instantly seen.

10. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    ahh, so the real reason for the improvement is because you are using component, instead of the the notoriously fuzzy panasonic scart board