DVD Recorder £129.99

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Andyclockwise, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Andyclockwise

Andyclockwise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Spotted in my local Woolworths today the Compacks DRW101 previously sold for £179.99. Is this the cheapest DVD recorder on the market today? Has anyone owned one of these and any views on how good it is? According to the manual I downloaded from Compacks web site it only plays and records dvd+r/rw, but it has component outputs and Prog scan pal, so :smashin:

2. KDH

KDH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Andyclockwise

Andyclockwise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Do you actually think then your going to be getting a 'quality' product then by buying a £130 model from Woolworths? If you have a display that can make use of PAL progressive then you should pay a bit more and get something that will do the job considerably better.

5. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Hi

+RW/+R is really becoming the cheap and nasty end of the market then, probably where it belongs if they still can't get it reliable enough to go a week without a lost recording!

Laugh, people buy this cheap rubbish, then complain when it doesn't work right, still at least it is easy to take it back to Woolworth’s, the 16 year old behind the counter will not have a clue and will give a refund without even opening the box to see if the unit is in there!!

What next, a free "YingYangHong" +RW/+R recorder with every happy meal :)

Regards

Philip

6. Andyclockwise

Andyclockwise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have no problem with cheap and in my experience it doesn't always equate to nasty. Prices for this technology are falling rapidly as they have in the audio-visual and technology markets for all new technologies for the last 50 years. It is annoying if you have forked out in excess of £300 for a product, only to see the same, or similar for less than half the price soon thereafter. I know I've been there too. That is the price for being an early adopter I'm afraid. This machine was originally on sale for over £300, so was it cheap and nasty then?

What I am hoping for is a considered opinion from someone who has actually purchased one of these machines.

7. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe - but I see the Mail On Sunday are giving away free DVD players to the first 4,000 appllicants who send their "tokens" in and are drawn out of the hat.

8. Andyclockwise

Andyclockwise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Any suggestions for such a machine?

9. Andyclockwise

Andyclockwise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I see that Macdonalds are giving away a Sega electronic game with every happy meal this week. That idea would have been scoffed at 5 years ago, so you might be correct?

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    :) If you say so.

11. Andyclockwise

Andyclockwise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    IMHO, of course. :)

12. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What people want to know is, is this machine capable of reording tv progs onto dvd at a decent quality, ie SVideo or RGB. If it is, then it has to be a bargain at £129. And as Blankdiscshop are currently selling DVD+RW's for as little as 79p each (88p for Verbatim media) it certainly beats -R/W and RAM recorders hands down.

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    There's alot more to 'decent quality' than just the input signal! And what do people want to do with the recordings? This can affect whether such a unit is "good value".

But I would suggest that a £130 machine isn't exactly going to give the likes of Pioneer, Sony or Panasonic anything to worry about in the quality stakes. But if you doubt that checkout the review of the Yamada gets in the current issue of WVWE. I particularly like the reference to the "strange strobe like effect"...

Now DVD-RW has come of age DVD+RW needs to play catch up - perhaps by releasing a UK recorder with 5.1 recording? - because at the moment it is only really appealing to those who are really strapped for cash. Besides, in my experience the people who would be 'happy' with such a machine would actually be alot happier with something such as Sky+ or a Pace Twin.