1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD & Receiver Query

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dwm009, Dec 17, 2003.

1. dwm009

dwm009

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys.....first timer here, getting very confused about my first home theatre purchase and hoping someone can ease my suffering!

I have recently purchased my first DVD player, the Panasonic DVD-S75 and am considering the Panasonic SAHE75 receiver for home theatre and music (DVD and CD) use, about 50/50 split.

What is the best way to connect the DVD player and receiver for best sound output? Is the 6 channel input/output best or the digital? Based on the best connection what type of cable would you recommend being used?

I greatly appreciate any advice you can offer a home theatre novice!

Merry Christmas!

Dave

2. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm not sure what options you have with these units but I believe the best audio link for Dolby and DTS to be digital coaxial followed by digital optical followed by analogue (phono) cables. If nothing else, at least the two digital options only require one cable to be purchased and routed between the two units.

If you are talking DVD-A or SACD then the six phono leads are the best solution for technical reasons that can be read-up on in the other threads on this forum.

The CD to receiver connection should be by 2 phono leads.

As in most things AV though, there is nothing to beat a demo of the options available!

3. kingbilly123

kingbilly123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm wanting to use DVD-A or SACD so I need the six phono leads to connect my Denon DVD to Amp. However do i still need the digital coaxial connections as well or can I get away without buying it ?

4. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You can get away with it but when you play 6.1 or 7.1 you will need co-axial or optical to transfer it from the player to your amp or you will only have 5.1.

5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Kingbilly

You could just use phono leads but this would mean that the DVD player is decoding the audio and your AVR is only acting as a amp. Generally speaking AVRs are much better at decoding than DVD players and give the option of 1 or 2 rear speakers. If you had a £1000+ DVD player and a £120 AVR then this would be a viable option but if the 2 are comparable in price then for :DTS: or DD you are much better off using co-ax and then analogue purely for DVD-a and SACD