DVD-RAM vs. -RW

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jkoehler, Feb 9, 2004.

1. jkoehler

jkoehler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgive my newbie-ness, trying to decide between Panasonic DMR E-80 with DVD-RAM, etc. and Pioneer DVR 510HS with -RW as the reusable media. Any thoughts on +/- of each and your reccommendations? Thanks much.

2. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Ram is a far better option for editing
    my Toshiba DR! writes to dvd-r dvdrw dvd ram

i have about 6 RW discs and dont use them at all. the options with Ram are far better

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    What country are you in? It will affect the advice your given!

Basically both models you quote are HDD/DVDR combos and so the re-writeable media is somewhat irrelevant. DVD-RAM has very little compatibility with existing DVD players but is a highly durable medium. DVD-RW has much better compatibility. Ultimately you'll find this largely irrelevant though as odds are you'll probably find that for the most part you'll just burn to DVD-Rs which have significantly better compatibility than DVD-RW (and 100 times better compatibility than DVD-RAM) and can be got very cheapily.

Therefore it depends on the features which are affected by what versions on the E80 and 510HS you looking at - Japanese, Asian, European or US?

4. jkoehler

jkoehler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the U.S. Thanks for your help.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    jkoehler,

I would suggest a forum such as:
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/index.php
    (scroll down to their "DVD Recorders" forum)

That's not trying to fob you off but you'll find more US users their than on this forum - and so will get more specific/useful advice. This forum is based on a number of UK magazines and so the majority of posters are UK based and our versions of the E80 and 510 are somewhat different in specifications and performance to the US versions.

Still that said you won't go far wrong with the E80 which has been well received. The only complaints I seen against it relate to CPRM which is invariably people jumping to an ill-advised opinion and blaming Panasonic for something they had nothing to do with. If this is your first digital recorder you may want to investigate that side of things before buying anything, otherwise you'll be very happy with the E80 as it's a top DVDR/HDD combo.

6. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rasczak,glad to see you back.How was Japan?I have now upgraded from HS2 to the Pioneer 5100.And -RW with Timeslip and compatibility should knock another nail in RAM's coffin.What do you think about the announcement of Philips HDD/DVD+ recorders?And can you confirm HCC hint that Panny is adding -RW to their lineup?

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Hi. It was good - hardwork but enjoyable. Managed to record a fair bit of HD programming whilst there though which I'm looking forward to combining with English AC3 soundtracks. Will take a bit of faffing but should be worth it ;)

Still keen to see the end of DVD-RAM then Phelings? ;) Each to their own I suppose. But with half a dozen new DVD-RAM recorders from Panasonic, two more from JVC, Toshiba and Samsung all being released in the UK this year I don't think you going to see the end of the format anytime soon. Pioneer just aren't mainstream enough in High Street UK to seriously threaten Panasonic or Philip's UK position. When Sony gets off it's arse though Winter 04 that will be a different story.

Despite rumours Panasonic have NO plans to introduce DVD-RW on their recorders - the simple fact is as they hold 60% of the production of DVD-RAM disks they are having their cake and eating it by selling the most recorders and the disks to use on them. Personally I would like to see DVD-RW support (at least in Video mode) added but it's not going to happen within the next 18 months at least.

Just out of interest what made you go for a 5100? I know it has a few features the HS2 hasn't but all of these can be found on the specs for the upcoming RGB capable HDD/DVDR from Sony (available June). Escpecially as this would have tied in nicely with your PC DVD+ drive if my memory serves me correctly.

I think it's about time - it was on the cards as soon as Sony announced their dual format combo. There is literally no information on it at the moment (Philips are being very tight lipped) but the rumours I hear is that the HDD editting will be the SAME as that used on the disk, i.e. non-precise. But until we see the machine nobody knows.

On other significant news Philips is now mooting a dual format drive which, if it happens, will leave just HP (+), Dell (+), Panasonic (-) and Toshiba (-) as the only companies making single format drives (counting RAM as one with -RW and ignoring any re-badged products those companies make). The future seems very clearly to be dual/multi format on the PC which ultimately puts even less pressure on the home entertainment scene to standardise. Which is perhaps a good thing IMHO lest it standardise into something not home cinema orientated.

8. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Raszack, welcome back from me to.

You may have seen a previous post from me regarding the Pioneer 5100, the UK model at least has been cheapened down to the extent that picture quality is very poor from the internal tuner and any composite signal fed into it (cheap and nasty comb filter). Video Noise reduction settings appear to do little and the black/white levels seem very off at default settings for "Picture Creation".

Very disappointing from Pioneer and I suspect the lack of RGB in is simply because the multi-media chip that is providing the bulk of the features doesn't support RGB in, and Pioneer didn't want to spend a few extra pounds (which I would have gladly paid) using some extra board space and a decent LSI to handle the Analogue to Digital stuff in a clean way.

I suspect the Sony models are going to be very expensive, then you get what you pay for.

Yep dual writers seem to be the norm now that is for sure.

Regards

Philip

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Cheers.

Yes I saw your post on the subject and was very surprised. Pioneer's products have generally been top quality in the past. I suppose most people will record from an external source (Digbox, Freeview tuner) so it's wasn't deemed important enough. But then many high end users would want to use it as a tuner for their Plasma. Still aside from that and the RGB issue it seems a very capable HDD/DVDR unit.

Without a doubt although the market should be very competitive by then with Panasonic, JVC, Toshiba, Sharp, LG, Pioneer, Samsung and even Philips having HDD/DVDR combos on the market.

10. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I do record a lot of dvdr's for myself and other people the HS2 was simply using up too much time.Now ,what used to take 7.5 hours on the HS2 takes just 45 minutes on the 5100.The lack of RGB stopped me for a while,but the slight drop in quality is barely noticeable except on FINE(XP) mode which I rarely use.The other goodie was the "backup" feature which is often not even mentioned in reviews.The ability to copy any dvd-r in about 26 minutes including menus is very helpful to me.But maybe you have the technical knowledge to explain why this feature does not work on DVD+ discs at all.And the ability to record PAL 60,not possible on the HS2 has already assissted me in copying an NTSC vhs for a mate.

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Yes the backup feature is a good option - HS2/E100 owners have to live with either keeping a master on DVD-RAM (a safer option than multiple DVD-Rs it has to be said) or burn two (or more) DVD-Rs whilst they still have the master recordings on the HDD - unless they have a PC DVD burner in which case backing up is easily done. It's doubtless due to this reason that the backup facility is not mentioned that much. But it's certainly a feather in the 5100's cap.

I would suggest, i.e. guess, that it's because the recorder has some basic copy protection system to ensure your not using it for mass duplication of recordings that are not your own (i.e. ones not recorded on that recorder).

12. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And I can't find any discs at all that will copy to the HDD