DVD-RAM video to Win x64 laptop

JTHM

Novice Member
Folks

I have a Panasonic VDR-M70 8cm DVD-RAM camcorder and I recently bought a laptop with a 12cm only DVD-RAM drive which runs the Windows XP x64 operating system.

As I have a Panasonic HDTV I have set the camcorder to its highest quality setting, however this only gives 17mins of video per side of disc.

What I currently do at home on my desktop is take the day's video off onto DVD-RAM onto HDD and isn't a problem as it both accepts 8cm DVD-RAM discs and will also run the normal 32-bit Windows XP Pro so runs the 32-bit Panasonic USB camcorder driver.

However, if I go on holiday I would rather take my laptop with me and download all the day's video to the HDD of the laptop in the manner I do at home on the desktop. Now I have a problem as the DVD-RAM drive on the laptop only accepts 12cm discs and as it's running x64 will not run the 32-bit Panasonic USB camcorder driver either.

I can't find any 64-bit XP drivers anywhere for Panasonic anything, let alone an out-of-date DVD camcorder and as it is a USB 2.0 compatible camcorder it does not have a firewire port even though my laptop does. Obviously I'm wanting to try and keep the video in its digital format if possible. Does anyone have any guidance?

Many thanks

jomike

When you say that your laptop only accepts 12cm DVDs, do you mean that it is a slot loading type, or does it have the slide out tray? If the latter is the case, I suspect that the drive does not support RAM discs. Reading the specs on your camcorder, I see it can record on -R DVDs as well. As -R is more likely to read on your DVD drive, this is one option.
Another option is to get an external USB or Firewire DVD drive that can read RAM discs.

Regards, Mike

ralphmalph

Novice Member
Windows XP 64 bit is basically a beta release for techies that want to play with some potential future software. Unless you are a pc expert I would dump this ASAP and get standard windows XP installed on your laptop. It will be far less hassle in the long run

ralphmalph

Novice Member
Also for the discs look for an external DVD drive that is firewire or USB2 (as long as your laptop is USB2) that takes 8cm discs and use that to copy the Disks. I would add that you are very unlikely to find Win XP 64 bit Drivers for these either. But will be easily driven by standard windows XP.

JTHM

Novice Member
Thanks for your replies everyone.

jomike said:
When you say that your laptop only accepts 12cm DVDs, do you mean that it is a slot loading type, or does it have the slide out tray?
The laptop drive is a slot loader - this is why it won't accept 8cm disks. It does read RAM discs as I've tried it using 12cm RAM disks from my Panasonic DVD recorder.

ralphmalph said:
Windows XP 64 bit is basically a beta release for techies that want to play with some potential future software. Unless you are a pc expert I would dump this ASAP and get standard windows XP installed on your laptop. It will be far less hassle in the long run
I know that for home use x64 is a waste of time and money, but it is my intention, in time, to put the laptop to business use running top end 64-bit 3D CAD software (I'm not talking AutoCAD or Tommysoft MicroCAD - I'm talking about big boys stuff) so really it will be more of a mobile workstation than a laptop PC. We run x64 at work for these CAD packages and it overcomes Windows 2GB application memory ceiling which is a BIG headache for us engineers (and using XP's 3GB switch causes issues elsewhere in the system and only moves the goalposts a small distance). This is why I selected this OS for the laptop (an Acer Ferrari 4005WLMi, BTW)

Does anyone know whether it is possible to use an 8cm - 12cm CD adaptor ring on an 8cm DVD?

Failing that it does seem that my only option is to get an external tray loader DVD-RAM drive that has 64-bit drivers....someone has got to do one, surely!

Thanks again!

ralphmalph

Novice Member
You could look at getting a dual boot utility so that you can have both Windows 64 and Windows XP on your laptop and chose which one to run when you turn the PC on. May make it simpler.

Top Bottom