Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

dvd-ram to dvd-r

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by barneypops, Sep 2, 2005.

1. barneypops

barneypops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if i made a recording on dvd-ram, can i then archive it for permanant storage to a dvd-r and even perhaps edit it. would i need a pc editing software to do this?

confused

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    If you have (or obtain) a dvd PLAYER such as one of the Pansonics or JVC which will play dvd-ram discs recorded in either SP or LP mode then you can use this player to transfer
    ram recordings to DVD-R on your dvd recorder. I use my Panasonic S27 dvd player to do exactly this when transferring recordings to the Panasonic E85.

You would need to edit the dvd-ram recordings in the dvd recorder first. Personally I never do this because its very time consuming. My S27 player cost £60 from Digital Direct and was modified for multiregion prior to delivery by City Link.

3. gobstopper

gobstopper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    If you opt for the PC route you will need a piece of software to accomplish this.

Look at this thread as it should tell you everything you should need to know. I haven't gone for a recorder yet, but I read this thread and it was really informative.

4. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    ROYOLD:
    You can high speed dub DVD-RAM recordings to the HDD in the E85. You don't need to use a separate player.

barneypops:
    You didn't say what recorder you are using. If you're using DVD-RAM then I guess it's probably (but not necessarily) a non-HDD Panasonic.

If it does not have a HDD then you can use ROYOLD's method. Edit your recordings on DVD-RAM before copying them to DVD-R.

If it has a HDD then dub your DVD-RAM recordings to the HDD, then dub from the HDD to DVD-R. You can edit the recordings on the DVD-RAM or on the HDD. Or you can create a playlist on the DVD-RAM or on the HDD to perform the editing and then dub the playlist.

If you want better editing options then use the PC route, but I suggest you try the recorder route first to see if you're happy with the result.

5. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    maldonian:

Thanks for the reminder - I sometimes forget the E85 has the hard drive as I seldom use it. Since purchasing the two twin tuner PVR's I now usually transfer to DVD-R via this route.

Have never used the PC route to transfer anything to DVDR. I read on another forum
    that it takes approx seven hours to transfer a three hour VHS tape to DVDR using a capture card on the PC. With a DVD recorder this can, of course, be done in three
    hours of real time, assuming no editing with the pause button.

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,481
    I've copied a RAM recording onto the hard drive of my E85 and edited it there. When I come to create a DVD-R from this it tells me it can't do it as a high speed dub, is this correct ?

7. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    If you created the DVD-RAM recording in the first place in your E85, the 'DVD-R Rec for High Speed mode' setting must have been Off when you did it. The ability to high speed dub to DVD-R is determined by this setting when you create the original recording. It is not affected by subsequent dubbing or editing.

On the other hand, if you created the DVD-RAM recording in a non-HDD Panny, this setting is not provided (unfortunately). A DVD-RAM recording that is made in a non-HDD Panny, then dubbed to the HDD of an HDD Panny, cannot be high speed dubbed to DVD-R whatever you do.

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,481
    Aha, that would explain it then, the original RAM recording was done in my E55. Thanks for clearing that up as it was confusing me somewhat !