DVD-Ram to DVD-R

davecabezo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Rasczak,
I read with interest your artical on authoring via the TMPG package. I am a complete novice and have just bought a Pioneer 420 recorder however I live in Tenerife and my recorder is waiting for me in the UK, which I will pick up at the end of March when I go back. I want to order whatever I need now do that I can bring them back with me as most equipment associated with DVD is much more expensive here and most firms on the net will not deliver to UK. My question is this, Has the Pioneer got the same facilities to write a DVD-R disc from Ram on the HDD as the authoring package TMPG, if not what is the main differences as I don't want to spend money on a new DVD-Ram compatable burner for my PC if there is no appreciable difference.
I look forward to any advice you can give me.
Many thanks in anticipation.

The Pioneer 420 uses DVD-RW VR mode instead of DVD-RAM as so you do not need a DVD-RAM compatible drive. Instead you need suitable software that will enable you to read a DVD-RW VR mode disc (DVD-RW is not supported by Windows XP). There are several options open to you - InCD for example - but as such solutions can cause various issues on your PC I do not provide advice on them as it would end up a full time job. Others will, I'm sure, point you in the correct direction.

Once you've got suitable software the DVD-RAM to DVD-R guide will work just as well for your DVD-RW VR mode recordings.

Yes, as Rasczak said, the packet writing software such as InCD has been known to interfere with a PC's ability to author DVDs. I would not recommend that route either.

Many people use the freeware DVD Decrypter to rip the titles from a disc recorded in a standalone. Once on the PC HDD then you can use either TMPGEnc alone (as per Rasczak's guide) or an alternative option of VideoRedo or Womble MPEG2VCR to edit out adverts followed by DVD Movie Factory 3 DC to reauthor the DVD. Last time I looked DVDMF3-DC was on offer at just over £20 from Ulead themselves.

For TMPGEnc you have the above guide, and if you're a novice I recommend that - however if you choose the second method then I can find you a link to one for that.

Many people use the freeware DVD Decrypter to rip the titles from a disc recorded in a standalone. Once on the PC HDD then you can use either TMPGEnc alone (as per Rasczak's guide) or an alternative option of VideoRedo or Womble MPEG2VCR to edit out adverts followed by DVD Movie Factory 3 DC to reauthor the DVD. Last time I looked DVDMF3-DC was on offer at just over £20 from Ulead themselves.

Thanks for the reply Musukebba but as a novice I don't know what you mean by standalone,What I want to do is record series or films from satellite,edit them, insert menus etc. and then archive them to DVD-R. As Rasczak say's the problem is probably XP Pro. Can you give me , in as simple terms as poss. an answer or solution to my problem.
Thanks for any help you can give

P.S. I use DVD Decrypter, so can the software read DVD-RW VR format discs and the I can use Rasczak's recommended prog. or DVDMF3-DC to re-author the DVD, (Which I presume comes complete with instructions)

davecabezo said:
Thanks for the reply Musukebba but as a novice I don't know what you mean by standalone,What I want to do is record series or films from satellite,edit them, insert menus etc. and then archive them to DVD-R. As Rasczak say's the problem is probably XP Pro. Can you give me , in as simple terms as poss. an answer or solution to my problem.
Thanks for any help you can give

Well as you have/are getting the Pioneer 420 you can do all of what you want on that machine (aka standalone). Record the series/films to the hard disc, edit them and when you are ready to copy them to DVD-R it will generate a menu for you.

Reading through the posts again, I think Rasczak and I got a bit confused!

By 'standalone', I mean a DVD recorder like your Pioneer which can record without a PC being involved.

However your original question was to do with the capabilities of the 420, and whether it it could be used for editing and dumping the processed video content to a -R. I haven't had direct experience of the 420, so can't comment in detail, but AFAICS it is perfectly capable of editing and burning to DVD as much as a PC-based system. It depends on whether you are happy to do the editing in the front room (with attendant partner- and child-based protestations), or do it in peace and quiet somewhere else on the PC.

Otherwise the only direct advantage of going the PC route for editing is to introduce more interesting menus, but you can still do that after editing the content on the 420 and putting the -RW disc into the PC drive later.
davecabezo said:
P.S. I use DVD Decrypter, so can the software read DVD-RW VR format discs and the I can use Rasczak's recommended prog. or DVDMF3-DC to re-author the DVD, (Which I presume comes complete with instructions)
Yes, exactly, but you'll need a separate program for video editing to avoid poor output if you take the DVDMF3 route. Tutorials for DVDMF3-DC available on Ulead website, but a better combination guide to the DVD Decrypter/MPEG2VCR/DVDMF3-DC methodology to be found here...

Reading through the posts again, I think Rasczak and I got a bit confused!
Your right - I read 420 as 220 for some reason. The model he has will allow him to record to the HDD and then dub to DVD-RW (Video mode) which, when finalised, will be readable on a Windows PC upon which you can follow the 'DVD-RAM to DVD-R conversion guide' in order to design your own menus. Sorry for any confusion.

Many Thanks for your help and time. I think I now know where I'm going but no doubt when I get my 420 I will be back for guidence.
Thanks to you both once again.

Sorry for being such a pest Rasczak but on reflection do you mean that XP will read a DVD-RW disc or RAM disc. Does the 420 copy from hard disc to DVD-RW or DVD-Ram or both?

The 420 doesn't support DVD-RAM discs. The 420 will write to DVD-R in Video-mode and to DVD-RW in either Video-mode or VR-mode. XP will read DVD-RW in Video-mode, but requires another driver to read DVD-RW in VR-mode.

But as I said before the 420 will do all you have said you want to do (i.e. record series/films and then edit out commercials, add chapter points and add a menu and burn to DVD-R), although it's menu options are limited; from what I've seen so far they are single level only and you are limited to only have a 'title' (i.e. an individual recording) as a menu option. This will be fine for what you have said you want to do (i.e. each film or episode of say Star Trek would be a 'title' and would therefore be a menu option).

I would suggest that when you get your 420 you have a go at generating a dvd of a series and/or film and then out put it to DVD-RW in Video-mode so that you get to see the authoring/menu options and don't waste any media. If you don't like the menus/final authored disc you can always load it up on the PC and rip the video and use something like TPMGEnc DVD Author to generate new menus.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom