DVD-RAM to DVD-R via PC

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mentsugi, Jul 4, 2004.

1. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Guys,
    Need some help! I have a notebook with DVD burner bundled with Windvd Creator software. I copied the VRO file from the RAM to my HDD and then just added a Home menu. I proceeded to burn it using the 2hr DVD option. DVD space was OK and it started the process. However either at the end or during burning the DVD-R the software failed saying 'some error'! Twice!

So I have the following questions:-

1) The DVD-RAM was recorded in FR mode to fit 1.5 hours onto the DVD-RAM at best quality. Would this be a problem when trying to burn a FR recording to DVD-R 2hour disk?

2) I found that the burner I have is 2X and the disks are 4X (for my Panny E30). I see on threads that this is a no no? Can someone confirm this before I buy 2X disks?

3) Finally , one of the options in the burn menu is VR mode burn? However this means I cannot have a menu (so it says) so if I should have used this option what is the point? I only wanted to use this software so I could add menus.

I read Rasczak's excellent sticky on PC burning but this was based on another software app so I couldnt compare exactly.

Any advice please?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Use TMPG Enc Author! ;) I have not used Intervideo's WinDVD Creator so can't really help that much. You might want to check their website:
    http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/Support.jsp
    The programme DOES fully support VR mode so you should be able to achieve what your trying to do.

This is not the problem. There is no such thing as a 2hr DVD-R despite what they print on all the packaging: a DVD-R is 4.7GB - not 120minutes! You can quite happily burn a 90min programme onto a DVD-R.

You haven't stated the make and model of your PC DVD burner but this could well be the problem (you didn't tell us the error message either!). You may want to check the website of whoever produced your burner to see if there is a firmware upgrade that will enable you to read/write to such disks.

This is giving you the option to burn the disk in VR mode, i.e. the file format your DVD-RAM recordings are in. The purposes of this is if you had a clip on your PC you wanted to watch on your E30 etc. Not relevant for what you want to achieve.

3. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Rasczak,
    Thanks for the answers. The drive I am using is Panny multi-burner UJ-811B that came with my new laptop. There are no new drivers on the IBM website (notebook supplier) or the makers website that will make it 4X.

The error message from the DVD Creator software is quite helpfully 'Failed to author due to some error".

I have noticed that when I did put the DVD-R's in (tried 3 Verbatim 4X) before starting the burn operation they did quite a lot of searching/disk scanning before either rejecting them or failing to burn with the above error message (1 half way through and the other at the end of the burn operation).

I am going to order some 2X DVD-R's to try and will use both DVD Creator and the program you mention as like you I believe the drive/disk combination to be the fault here.

Thanks again.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Yes - I think you could be on the right track here - give some 2x DVD-Rs a try. You could try asking Panasonic tech support:
    [email protected]
    I have no idea if they will answer for an OEM drive though. There website seems to suggest not :(

5. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Well I at last know why the DVD-R's would not work with WinDVD creator. Its because it will only write to DVD-RAM or RW! Ooops..should have read the manual properly. :blush:

So I tried to download the TMPG Enc Author software but no matter how I try it says install complete but I cannot find the program on my hard disk! Even when I specify the directory? During install the information bar says 'rolling back'? Does this mean its uninstalling?

So then tried ULEAD's DVD creator software and this also burnt with an error?

Finally burnt a DVD-RAM using WinDVD and it works fine but does not satisfy my requirement of authoring DVD-R's?

Any help please?