DVD-RAM to DVD-r - "unsupported" ?!?!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DarkoLord, Apr 9, 2005.

1. DarkoLord

DarkoLord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi...

I have a DMR-E55 recorder and I had recorded some programmes to DVD-RAM media... Then when it was almost full, I wanted to copy it to an ordinary DVD-R with PC... First I tried Ulead DVD MovieFactory, however it said "Invalid parameter" when dumping some records/clips to hdd... Then I copied those records to hdd using TMPG DVD Author... Then in MovieFactory I created menus and such things and bunt everything to dvd-r and when browsing with Explorer it shows normal dvd folders and files structure, however when I put it into E55 it said "unsupport"...

Then I tried to create the whole dvd image with TMPG Author and it also burnt successfully, however I get the same "unsupport" message on my E55...

I followed the guide on this forum and also some other guides...

I'm using Verbatim DVD-R media, which work perfectly with E55 (in normal circumstances)...

Does anyone have an idea what am I doing wrong?
    :lease:

Thanks,
    Darko

2. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Did you make sure you burned a <minus> format R disc (rather than a <minus> RW or a <plus> format disc of any sort), and that the MovieFactory output parameters were set to DVD-Video?

3. DarkoLord

DarkoLord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I have Panasonic burner, which only supports "minus" formats, so yes I'm sure I was writing to DVD-R...

Also in DVD MovieFactory I chose "DVD-Video"...

The problem is that same thing happened when I made the entire DVD image with TMPG Author...

Thanks!

Darko

4. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    In that case try ripping a DVD-RAM title with DVD Decrypter in IFO mode ('File Splitting' set to 'None' in the 'Tools' -> 'Settings' -> 'IFO Mode' tab). Rename the .vob to .mpg, then import as a MPEG2 video file into DVD-MF. The make your menus etc and burn again.

Is this a new machine or an old one which is suddenly disagreeing with this procedure? Are these a new batch of discs? Otherwise there's a possibility it could be faulty.

5. DarkoLord

DarkoLord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay I'll try that...

Machine is new, and only that dvd-ram --> dvd-r is giving problems... As for the discs, I made backup of some of my original dvd movies on them and they work without problems...

thanks,
    Darko

PS. Is there any way to make a dvd-ram disc to work like normal DVD-Video disc, because I do not want to destroy whole cake of dvds? :D

6. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I must admit I have no experience with DVD-RAM. The method I recommended is one that is universally compliant with DVD-MF, and once you get the MPEG2 video off the DVD-RAM disc as a single file with DVD Decrypter, it shouldn't really matter what format it came from.

Rasczak is usually the one with the DVD-RAM answers, and wrote the guide you might have been using, but unfortunately he doesn't appear to be around at the moment.

7. DarkoLord

DarkoLord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm I tried to record the contents of VIDEO_TS folder that both MovieFactory and TMPG DVD Author produced with Nero and it works :thumbsup:

However I noticed that video quality is worse with MovieFactory (but it has a lot nicer menus :cool: ), so I guess I will havo to stick with TMPG Author with ugly menus :)

Thanks!!
    Darko

8. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    If you didn't import the DVD Decrypter-ripped MPEG2 correctly, then DVDMF will have re-encoded the video, which may explain the degraded quality.

BTW are you using the trial version of DVDMF?