1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-RAM to DVD-R problem with TMpeg DVD Author

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by crawf1982, Aug 26, 2004.

1. crawf1982

crawf1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I am trying to convert some DVD-Ram discs I recorded on my Panny E30 to DVD-R on my PC. I copy the video folder onto my HDD and open it in TMPEG DVD Author. When I select a program to add I cannot do it and get the following warning:

"The program is mix of different video formats.

The video compression format (MPEG-1 and MPEG-2), resolution and the aspect ratio (4:3 and 16:9) need to be the same within the program."

The programs are bits of the olympics recorded off Sky using BBC interactive. I have my Sky box set up to output in 4:3. The programs were recorded in SP mode.

If I change the file extension of the video from VRO to MPG I can load the recorded programs in DVD Author. However, at various points throughout the programs the aspect ratio gets all screwed up and he picture is squashed into either the top half or the left hand side of the screen with the remaining half black.

Does anybody know what is going on or how I can fix this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have recorded a lot of the Olympics onto Ram discs which I want to convert.

Cheers,

Dave

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Am I going mad or did you original post this in the PC Guide forum only for it to disappear :confused: Anyway for those wondering that's why I seem to have made a total random post in the PC thread :blush:

Anyway to repeat what I said there the good news is I know precisely what the problem is. Your Panasonic chops and changes between high and low resolutions to maximise recording quality on high/low activity scenes. Unfortunately this is not supported by TMPG Encoder Author. The solution (for future use) is to goto Functions/Setup/Picture and set "Hybrid VBR Resolution" to "Fixed".

The bad news is that doesn't help with your current recordings. There are a number of solutions: you could try a programme from www.ulead.com and see if they support it (they offer timelimited trials so you might be lucky - you can always output to the HDD in DVD-Video format and then import into TMPG Enc Author. Alternatively you could post a new thread asking a Panasonic HDD/DVDR owner on the board to dub them to DVD-R for you (I would but will be seperated from my units for the next four weeks or so).

3. crawf1982

crawf1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    How do I do that?

Thanks for your advice. I will be making a lot of use of TMpeg DVD Author having read your excellent guide. I just wish I'd known about Hybrid VBR Resolution issue before I recorded about 24 hours worth of olympics coverage!

Perhaps this is a good excuse to get an HDD/DVDR recorder :rolleyes:

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I've imported several hours of footage into TMPG set at 'Hybrid Auto' with no problems. However, 'Fixed' is still probably a better option overall.

I've recently given up on TMPG DVD Author for Importing RAM as it now fails to import everytime, for some reason!

I use ULead DVD Workshop to import (and author) and have had no problems at all.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    The problem occurs due to the importing process of TMPG Encoder Author. The compatibility check it conducts only verifys resolution, format etc occasionally: if everything it reads are all set to the same resolution (high or low) then it will import without problems. Hence the reason why you can import hybrid stuff quite happily.