DVD RAM Recomendations

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by brightonrvf, Feb 7, 2005.

1. brightonrvf

brightonrvf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    As the title says waddya think? There are packs of 5 Panasonic Ram discs in Argos for £13 Any good?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Panasonic DVD-RAMs are very reliable - but then it is quite hard to get unreliable DVD-RAMs given that they are not subject to the wide range of production values associated with cheap Chinese producers. Note that you can get them cheaper online though from the Panasonic E-Shop where they work out around about £1.99 each if you buy a 10 pack.

If your want to look at other brands then Maxell and Verbatim DVD-RAMs can be picked up for a little over £2 each from places such as:
    http://www.dvd-and-media.com/dvd-ram-media.htm

Probably the best value DVD-RAMs out there at present though are the RiDisk and Datasafe brands. Good suppliers of these are:
    http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/FOR_DVD_RAM___CLICK_HERE.html
    or
    http://www.digitalpromo.co.uk/erol.html
    At around £1.70 a disc they are fairly good value!

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    I've used the RiDisc ones with no problems at all so far :thumbsup:

4. JimNoble

JimNoble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Costco have 10 packs of the panny ones for about £12+VAT...

Jim

5. kitschcamp

kitschcamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Only downside (or upside) of the Costco ones are that they are caddyless ones.

6. GASJKH2

GASJKH2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been using Ridiscs with no problems.
    Both Panasonic E85 & PC reads them fine.

7. Daddy

Daddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    £1.49 each - that is very cheap - I suppose that formally marks the end of the days when DVD-RAM was dismissed as being "too expensive" :)

9. brightonrvf

brightonrvf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Should i get the caddy ones? If why?

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    DVD-RAMs in caddies are 'out of fashion'. Despite offering excellent protection for the discs and your recordings many companies prefer the caddyless ones because they look like DVDs - the caddy creates an unwanted image of being 'old'. Image, unfortunately, is everything.

My advice is to use caddyless discs if you want to use the DVD-RAMs in other players/devices as it saves the hastle factor removing them from their caddies. In addition caddyless discs have a protective coating whereas caddied ones don't making them quite vulnerable when out the caddy. Likewise it's not worth using caddies if you just archiving - recording once then putting in a case and stowing the disc.

If you are planning to use the discs for day to day timeshifting though and have young children, messy pets and/or a high dust environment then caddied discs are a great way to ensure you never loose a recording. Although you won't get them as cheap as £1.49 each! The Panasonic E-Shop has them for around £3.40 each.

11. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A small note of caution. If you have a Panasonic DVD Recorder and an LG DVD Ram drive in a PC, avoid disc's with CPRM (Panasonic 3x, JVC 3x to name a couple) as these can become corrupted by the LG drives. Wont affect 99% of folks but sure as hell was a pain for me.

12. brightonrvf

brightonrvf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Thanks guys, i shall go and procure some caddyless panny dvd rams methinks!

13. zenki200

zenki200

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My girlfriend has a habit of smearing food/makeup/grease.... on CD and DVDs. I went to watch a recording of "Tribe" I made the other night and the quality of the picture is awful as it had a huge smear over the disc :mad:
    I think I may invest in some 9.4gb caddy discs for her to record Eastenders/Corrie/Hollyoaks, etc..... I have been using Panny 4.7gb discs with no probs. It's worth watching out for these on offer as I bought 4 packs when Dixons were doing buy one get one free before christmas!

14. bigsby

bigsby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think you should invest in a new girlfriend ;)

15. jpurkey

jpurkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you use the DVD-RAMs without cartrdiges, then make sure they are free of any dust before recording. Even the cleanest homes have dust and I found it doesn't take much to cause a write error, resulting in skipping, freezing, etc. at that spot during playback. I've not had a single error since switching to the cartrdige type DVD-RAMs.

16. pannyman

pannyman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    midiman
    I have an LG drive in my PC what DVD-RAM are you using?

cheers

17. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  18. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I remember following the early developement of the DVD format in the Technology magazines of the day. I remember cursing Panasonic and Toshiba for pressing ahead with their Single Layer double sided format despite Sony and Philips developement of Dual Layer discs. I was thrilled when they relented a year or two after DVD launch.

I was very disappointed when I discovered that none of the major Manufacturers of the new DVD format planned caddied discs. Back then I said to myself, "Well there goes me ever renting a DVD so!" :D I just knew that after being let down by the 'scratch proof' cd format, that DVD's would be even more scratch/mark sensitive. Knowing how most feckless VHS renters couldn't even be bothered rewinding tapes before returning I just knew that DVD discs would not be treated with due care. If ever I rented a DVD I would have to make sure I rented it the first day of release. Because of the limited Rental DVD stock on the shelves in the early days of the format, more often than not I couldn't get a copy first day or two and when I would manage to rent my DVD I'd curse the morons every time I got a macro block out of skip etc. Gave up renting soon after and have only bought my DVD's ever since.

Once again with the DVD recording format we discover that the best format, ie. DVD Ram that offers the best functionality, the most re-writes (100,000-V-1000), the best Protection (Caddies) is the format least supported by most manufacturers. Ironic though that Panasonic/Toshiba, the companies who initially wouldn't support the better Dual Layer DVD format now find their better Recordable format ignored by the others this time round. What goes around, comes around I suppose! :D Unfortunately it doesn't look like Sony et al will do a U-Turn this time round unlike Panny/Toshs U-Turn on the dual Layer DVD-Pre Recorded format a few years ago.

19. DVD-RAM

DVD-RAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Moderators, is there any chance of having this thread pinned please? It could be a resident 'DVD media bargains' thread. :)