1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-RAM read/write cycles and durability

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by derb, Mar 30, 2003.

1. derb

derb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone had problems with degredation of disc quality either over time or over use with DVD-RAM discs? I would probably end up re-recording on them several times each and would want to keep them for several years. Obviously nobody here has had DVD-RAM recordings on the shelf for several years, but I would be interested in any early indications...

2. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I haven't had any problems. YOu should be able to record on them thousands of times over.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Actually as a format DVD-RAM has been around and in use for over five years now. It does what it says on the tin - it is a very safe way to store data long term. My company uses DVD-RAM as the backup storage medium (due to it's random access).

Even if the disk gets damaged then the error correction facility integral to RAM means it *should* still work. Yet to experience a bad recording though - and I have been using RAM (for data) for just under 2 years now.

4. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    DVD-RAM is far more durable than DVD-R/+RW & is idealy suited to archiving.

DVD-RAM has a long shelf life and caddy discs should be good for about 100,000 re-writes whilst the later two should be good for about 1,000 re-writes each.