1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-RAM Problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by StuBFrost, Dec 23, 2004.

1. StuBFrost

StuBFrost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I have a Panasonic E65 and I bought a couple of DVD-RAM discs for it. I recorded and edited on the Panasonic and then transferred the files to my PC for authoring to DVD-R.

As soon as I put the DVD-RAM's back in the Panasonic, it gives me errors and goes into a startup/shutdown cycle and the discs appear to be unusable.

I can't afford to use DVD-RAM discs for one shot use so does anybody know why this is happening. I have e-mailed Panasonic but they haven't replied yet.

The DVD-ROM drive in the PC is a just purchased LG GSA-4163B which is supposed to be DVD-RAM compatible.

Thanks

Stuart

2. SteveDangerous

SteveDangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This seems to be a regular problem with LG drives and Panasonic DVD recorders.

See the following threads:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172621

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153280

and in the DigitalSpy forums:

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=153653

I think the problem is due to a slight incompatibility in the way the discs are written by the Panasonic recorders and the way the discs are read by the LG drives. I think this is causing the DVD-RAM Defect Management protocol to kick in. Under this, if more than a certain number of unreadable sectors are detected the disc should be marked as read-only. This rule applies even if a drive is merely accessing the disc in read mode. Thus, the LG drive finds a large number of what it thinks are unreadable sectors, marks the disc as read-only, which in turn confuses the Panasonic recorder. It's a real pain.

Steve

3. StuBFrost

StuBFrost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Thanks for the links.

What a mad situation.

If I but a DVD-ROM drive that can read DVD-RAM then since it cant't write to the disk, then it should be readable in both.

Stuart

4. CHR1S

CHR1S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. StuBFrost

StuBFrost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    It doesn't seem to mention DVD-RAM in the spec.

Does it need a bios update or have they just missed it out ?

6. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Samsung drives all support DVD-RAM.

7. CHR1S

CHR1S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think this is down to them not updating the website!! I purchased mine about 4 weeks ago and it reads RAM fine

8. StuBFrost

StuBFrost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    What is curious though is that Samsung's own website does not list DVD-RAM as being supported.

Stuart

9. Gilligan905

Gilligan905
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn, I seem to be having a similar problem. When I try to open a DVD-Ram from my Panasonic E50 with my LG4120B drive I get the following message:

E:\DVD_RTAV is not accessible
    Access is denied

Is this likely to be a similar issue or am I doing something daft?

10. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    The problem is NOT the drive. You need to disable any instant read/write software you may be using such as InCD. This has been discussed at some length in the PC GUIDE sticky thread at the top of the page!

11. StuBFrost

StuBFrost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I have just exchanged my E65 for an E85 and the E85 will now happily read and format the same RAM disks that the E65 got in a knot over.

Sounds like Panasonic have done something between models to cope with the problem.

Stuart

12. SteveDangerous

SteveDangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I exchanged my E85 twice when I had this problem before I realised it was the LG4120B causing things to go wrong. Each time I exchanged, the discs that were unwritable before with the previous machine became writable again with the new machine. However, once these discs were put back in the LG4120B they became unwritable again!

I also have no packet writing software installed, and, with the current configuration, never have done. I had a major PC failure two months ago which necessitated a new system disc and a new motherboard. During the clean reinstall I avoided all packet writing programs. The problem still occurs, even when booting in safe mode.

I think it is just pot luck whether a particular LG drive is compatible with a particular Panasonic recorder.

Steve

13. hammy

hammy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thought I would add my little bit, sorry it's a bit long winded. :D

My E50 is about a Year old, no problem with it, never been in recovery mode etc. Use Ram discs a lot to transfers to pc for editing etc.

A few weeks ago I had to replace my LG 4120 as it packed in, wouldn’t burn any more although would still read (wish I had kept it just for that now :suicide: ).

Anyway everything has been ok till a week or so ago when my E50 started having problems (same as folks above) with some of my Ram discs that I was using to transfer stuff to my pc on the New LG 4120. Put a disc in the E50 asked for it too erase disc then it would say erase fail then go into recovery, then it would say disc is read only or unformatted, other times it would just say disc unformatted.
    I have another E50 from the work, which can erase, format and record to the discs that my own E50 can’t, although this machine has had very few discs from my new 4120 to deal with, not taking the chance of doing some damage to the machine.
    Both these two E50’s have made hundreds of recordings using ram discs that transferred the recordings to pc with my old 4120 without any problems.

Now here’s the strange part, after this had happened a couple of times and the E50 had been through recovery etc I tried a brand new blank ram that had never been used and it came up with the exact same error message as the disc before it, ie saying it had the same amount of recording on it as the disc that had just been in the machine that I tried to erase (although it had never been used) and when I tried the erase or format functions it went into recovery again. Then I disconnected the E50 left it off for a few hours then, it read the blank disc as it should and also reads other ram discs that didn’t cause it problems in the first place.

So went through the all the ram discs that I use (15) and tested them and found about four or five that would send the E50 into recovery, also once this error happens then it seems to continue with almost all ram discs (even those that are ok) until the unit is unplugged for a few hours (must reset it self or something). Have now stopped using those discs in the E50 that had the problems and have started transferring recordings to my old pc first which has LG 4082B drive in it and then transfer the file too my main pc with another ram disc (using some of the discs that are now supposed to be read only for this purpose) and the ram discs used on the 4082 so far work ok (touch wood) when they are put back into my E50, although this is a slower process, expecting delivery of a dvd-rom drive this week so that will speed things up, hopefully.

As I say this problem has only occurred since getting a new 4120 at the start of December, haven’t changed any software on pc just a straight swap with old drive. The only difference was that the new drive is using A104 firmware and the old drive was using NOAD. Like other posters I don’t have InCD installed either.

Hammy