• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

DVD-RAM problems in TMPGEnc Author 1.6

C

cochranv

Hiya !

I'm having problems transferring video recorded on DVD-RAM (Panasonic e55) to DVD-R using TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6.

I'm not exactly sure what I've done...bear with me. Please!

I copied 3 titles to my e55 using the copy function on sky+. Unfortunately, it copied them in the following order

1. title 3
2. title 1
3. title 2

I decided to use the playlist editor to put them in the right order, which was fine on my e55, but I'd like to transfer everything onto DVD-R using TMPGEnc DVD Author. I've done this using "Add DVD Video" as per the "sticky" posting at the top of the forum in the past and it's worked a treat.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work this time, and got the message "This is an illegal video file .. for DVD video standard you can use only MPEG-1 video or MPEG-2 video." Program 1 copied ok, but the remaining programs wouldn't copy. I'm sorry, but I didn't write down the names of all the items on the list.

WHERE I AM NOW:

I decided to delete title 3 (the chapter which was recorded first) to try to make things simple...

1. title 2
2. title 3

On the e55, I now seem to have have 1 title and 2 chapters. (I don't know why it's not 2titles, but it works - the first program is now chapter 1 and the second is chapter 2). The total playing time for both chapters combined is 52.xx minutes.

When I try to transfer to HD using DVD Author, it lists **Program 1** as 48min:44 sec and **Playlist 1** as 48min:44sec. I can copy Program 1, but not Playlist 1. Program 1 seems to be chapter 1 and 2 combined, but chops off a couple of minutes from the end! Any ideas what's going on?

Is there any way of "resetting" the DVD-RAM on the e55 and simpy using the edit menu to partial erase the first title out?

I hope that this *extremely long* post makes sense. I hope someone can shed some wisdom on this!

Regards,

cochranv

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
I copied 3 titles to my e55 using the copy function on sky+. Unfortunately, it copied them in the following order

1. title 3
2. title 1
3. title 2
I am assuing that these three titles are all in 'one' recording on the RAM disc? If so your quickest solution is to simply import the recording into TMPG Encoder Author 6 three times, i.e. Import the whole recording, select Chapter Edit and use the "Set Start Frame", "Set End Frame" and "Cut" functions to delete Titles 2 and 3. Repeat twice more getting rid of Eps 1 and 3, and then 1 and 2 respectively. End result three seperate titles in the right order.

If you want to go the playlist route then you should delete the playlist and remake it.

C

cochranv

Thanks Rasczak - that's what I should have done in the first place! I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Trouble is, I've now deleted the first section of the dvd (using partial erase) on the e55. So I have 1 title with two chapters exactly as I want it. When I go to import the dvd into TMPGEnc DVD Author, the only two items listed to import are "Program 1" and "Playlist 1". Both files are listed as about 48 mins. I can copy Program 1 to the hard disk, but when I try to copy Playlist 1 to the hard disk, it gives me the "...illegal video file.." message.

Does DVD Author have problems with edited dvd's?
Any ideas?

Cheers

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Does DVD Author have problems with edited dvd's?
No - it should handle them without problems. I suggest trying to create a new Playlist and see if that works - the settings might have been corrupted slightly when you deleted the first title.

C

cochranv

Thanks Rasczak for your help. i think you were right. I played the DVDRAM in my e55 and then put it back into DVDAuthor and it lets me copy both files to my hd!

Weird.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom