1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-RAM problems between PC & DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jverdoes, Mar 4, 2005.

1. jverdoes

jverdoes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi all

As I’m very new to the DVD recording world, I played around last night on my new external LG 4163B PC DVD writer.
    I had my 1st attempt at backing up one of my DVD’s to see how things work. I copied and compressed the main video file with DVD-Shrink to fit on a 4.7GB disc.
    I then used Nero Reloaded to burn the image on the 4.7GB DVD-Ram disc. I only had the DVD-Ram disc at the time for I only use them in my Panasonic DMR-E65S DVD-Recorder. It took a while to burn, at only 3x, but it burned perfectly without any problems. :thumbsup:

Now this is where my problems begin: :(

I placed the DVD-Ram disc in my laptop’s DVD drive, which strangely enough plays DVD-Ram discs. PowerDVD opened and started to play the copied DVD perfectly. The picture and sound quality is great, can hardly tell the difference. :clap:

Then I placed the DVD-Ram disc in my Panasonic DVD-Recorder to see what the quality is like on my TV. But instead of seeing my copied DVD play as nicely as it did on my laptop, all it gave me was an “UNFORMATTED DISC” on the Panasonic’s LCD screen. :confused:

I played it again in my laptop, no problems. I then, very reluctantly, formatted the DVD-Ram disc in my LG DVD-writer. :mad:
    Windows XP and InCD detected the Ram disc instantly.
    I then placed the Ram disc back into my Pana Recorder but the same “UNFORMATTED DISC” error pops up on the LCD screen.
    I then formatted the disc in the Pana Recorder, which it detected after the format has completed.

Back to the LG DVD writer and Windows detected the Pana formatted Ram disc fine. I then noticed that the Pana Recorder created 2 folders on the disc after the format.
    When I tried to burn the DVD image on the disc again, Nero stopped automatically as there weren’t enough space on the disc to burn the image. :confused:

Now my question to all you clever people out there is:
    Does Windows XP format the DVD-Ram disc to a different format than the Panasonic DVD-Recorder? I even did a full disc erase with Nero Burning ROM but the Pana still didn’t recognise the disc.
    Why does the copied DVD play perfectly on my laptop’s DVD player but not on the Pana?
    I now ordered a couple of DVD+R discs to do my backups on but I fear that they might not play on my Pana Recorder.

I really hope someone could help me with this matter soon before I end up with loads of DVD+R coasters. :lease:

Regards,
    Johan :hiya:

2. Tarsh

Tarsh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0