1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-RAM Problem on Panasonic HS2

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by johnhoward111, Aug 15, 2004.

1. johnhoward111

johnhoward111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panasonic DMR-HS2 and an LG DVD burner in my PC. I am trying to create a DVD on -ram using neoDVD plus. The process works perfectly using DVD-r discs. When I have created a DVD using neoDVD plus on a -ram the Panasonic displays 'UNFORMAT' and will not play the disc. I have tried formatting the disc with UTF2.0 and when the disc is blank the Panasonic will allow access to the disk, but as soon as I have used the NEO DVD software the Panasonic displays 'UNFORMAT' again. I noticed that when you format a disk in the Panasonic it adds a folder to the disk called 'DVD_RTAV'. I have tried to add this folder to the disk after creating the content in neoDVD but XP reports the disc as being full (even though there should be space on the disk). Does anyone have any ideas on where I am going wrong?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,216
    Are you recording in VR format or Video format?

Just out of interest what are you trying to achieve? There may be an easier way...

3. johnhoward111

johnhoward111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am trying to transfer some footage that was originally shot with a camcorder. As there are various files types on my hard drive, NeoDVD seemed to be the easiest solution as it converted the files to the correct format for DVD and created the menus for me. It works perfectly with -R disks, but I dont want to keep burning -R disks all the time. Not sure whether it is VR or Video format.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,216
    Ahh - it's Video Mode - that's why your having problems. The Panasonic HS2 is not HighMAT compatible. What this means in English is it looks for VR recordings on DVD-RAMs and Video recordings on DVD-Rs....and never the two shall mix.

Your best bet is to either to use a programme in the Ulead range (available from www.ulead.com ) or burn onto DVD-RW which the HS2 can read, but not write to.

5. sweat100

sweat100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading this thread, i realise that i also have similar problems as you mentioned earlier. So... is the DMR-E100H HighMAT compatible?

I want to put some files into the DVD-RAM from my comp. It is for temperaory sake so i do not wish to have them burn on DVD-R. Is it possible that there is a way to covert it to .VRO on my PC so my player could read?

6. johnhoward111

johnhoward111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info.
    DVD-RW will be the best solution for me.

Thanks again.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,216
    I'm not sure to be honest. Try authoring your project onto your HDD in Video mode and copy it to a DVD-RAM - if it plays then yes it is HighMAT, if it doesn't then it isn't.

I'm not being funny but even if you buy DVD-Rs from your local store you can still get them for £1-£2 each. Isn't that cheaper than wasting your time trying to record in VR mode? DVD-Rs are cheap enough to be throw away media IMHO. If that doesn't suit why not try the DVD-RW option as well...