1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-RAM players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dunlop73, Aug 20, 2003.

1. dunlop73

dunlop73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It's a long story, but I've just managed to get a refund on my Philips 890 (2 days before the guarantee runs out!!) and have replaced it with a Panasonic E50. So far it feels much better made and more sophisticated (and actually works).

I would like to be able to play (and possibly transfer to DVD-R) DVD-RAMs on my PC (which has a DVD-R writer) so I need a DVD-ROM drive which can read them. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    The Toshiba 1612 DVD-ROM reads them and is also cheap. Available from Dabs (www.dabs.com) or in-store at PC World. Probably best to try the latter first as it tells you on the box it plays DVD-RAMs.

I should also test the DVD-ROM drive you already have. I actually had the above Toshiba supplied (without asking) by Evesham when I ordered my current PC.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
  4. fremar

fremar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can buy a PC based DVDROM drive that reads DVDRAM from here.

Toshiba SDM-1712 £32.96 delivered from www.cclcomputers.co.uk

fremar

5. jimmyboy

jimmyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does you E50 playback DVD-RW? or mp3? (Not listed on the above site)

6. dunlop73

dunlop73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Plays Mp3 discs really well - much better system than the Philips. I haven't tried a DVD-RW yet, DVD+R plays well, but DVD+RW is not recognised.

Just got back from PC World with an LG GDR-8161B DVD-ROM drive which is DVD-RAM compatible - no Toshiba in stock, but the LG was only £39.99 so I guess that's OK - still £60 up on the deal as I got £500 back for the Philips.

:cool:

Early impressions of the Panasonic are great! Excellent quality thanks to best fit mode - really easy editing too - I had been a reader of another forum which had led me to believe only the DVD+RW system could be edited on the machine. Very happy so far!!

Cheers for advice

Jon

7. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you want to transfer edited RAM to -R then an altenative might be an S35 which can play RAM and very importantly has component outputs

you can get a multiregion modded version for around £100

This also gives you the option of archiving from sky(+) onto RAM whilst watching a DVD

worth thinking about

8. dunlop73

dunlop73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hmm. Wouldn't that compromise the quality a bit? I had thought that doing it in a computer would mean the video part would be a digital copy rather than a recording of a copy which is what I would get through another DVD player.

Jon