DVD RAM player...?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by wellsi, May 13, 2002.

1. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi guys,

So, after having lots of fun recording on the Pansonic DMR-E20, I've realised it would be nice to have an additional DVD-RAM player.
    There are so many more editing features available when you record to DVD-RAM and it would then be great to transfer your finished product onto a £1.50 DVD-R, rather than keep it on a £15 DVD-RAM, as well as making copies for other people. Solution would be to have a seperate DVD-RAM player to copy from.
    I read that the new DVD-Multi standard would cover DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD-RAM discs; wondering if there were any DVD-Ram players out there yet...? Anyone seen one?

Cheers,

2. lbeck

lbeck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,

It appears that you and I are tracking the same line. Also a new E20 user, I'm looking forward to the next step of being able to work between DVD-RAM and DVD-R, though It'll be a while. I 'm still on an E20 high, and won't need (i.e., can't afford) another electronics fix for a few months. However, there appears to be a relatively inexpensive DVD burner at:

http://www.zdnet.com/supercenter/stories/overview/0,12069,539052,00.html

Aslo, an apparently really inexpensive DVD-RAM reader (about 53 pounds) menitoned in this forum at "DVD-RAM to DVD-R." I tried cutting/pasting the URL here, but it's apparently too long. Let me kmnow if you can't locate the discussion thread.

I'm thinking of going the read/write route so that I can play with my video editing software on my computer, get it as perfect as I want, write to a DVD-RAM, then transfer to DVD-R (e.g., compilations of home video to distribute to family). A RAM to -R capability may enable me to do most of my DVD work on the computer, but I still like the E20 as a high-end VCR (or V-DVD-R) and for convenient playback of DVDs since my computer and E20 are in different rooms.

Let me know what you find out about other RAM writers and/or readers. I'll continue to monitor this webboard.

3. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
  4. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Alanrob!

You're not wrong! 89p inc vat for dvd-r ain't bad!
    Now, if dvd-r is 89p, why is dvd-ram still so pricey...?

Thanks to the other guys for your thoughts on RAM to dvd-R; might well get a RAM writer for the PC and hook the two up...

Cheers,

5. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    wellsi

Just a reminder! It seems that DVD-RAM players to-date do not have a seamless playback option. So any edit points you have created on your RAM disc will show up as brief freeze frames.
    With a lot of edit points this could be quite annoying depending on your taste. Good luck. Malcom.

6. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Think it might be best to wait for the next lot of set top dvd players to come out, with RAM reading ability too...

Cheers,

7. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    You guys may care to know that Dixons (don't know if all branches) have been selling the above PC dvd ram (only, no dvd-r) writers for about £100.
    If you want seemless playback then record to dvd-r on your E20 this may be a solution.;)
    Stores are finding it hard going flogging DVD-RAM only writers due to dvd-r under-cutting costs of RAM discs, so this may be a bargain for you archivers with an E20? Don't know if the E20 will do seemless record to dvd-r but you should!!!:p

8. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I got a DVD RAM drive (Toshiba SD W2002) as it stated it also read DVD-R. Upon installing it, (and confirmed with Toshiba), it only reads the old 2.7 Gb DVD-R, which of course, no one uses anymore.
    It's gone back to PC World, and I'm now awaiting the Panasonic PC RAM / DVD-R writer drive...

9. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Which one, the LF-D311 @ £350? Nice that it has R as well.
    What is the E20 like at play back, would you rate it?

10. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Encaser...

Yep, it the LF-D311; £359 from jungle.com including a firewire card and some smart video editing software too.

Anyone who's read any of my posts will know I love the E20; it's features and playback are great. Only gripe is a really messy remote control and no built in hard drive to copy RAM onto DVD-R. Those two issues are resolved in the next release; due out late this year, when it gets a built in 40Gb hard drive...

Cheers,