Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

DVD Ram or -R

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Oldjim, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Oldjim

Oldjim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this has been covered already but I couldn't find it.
    Just waiting for a Panasonic EH50 to arrive and I need to back up a lot of VHS tapes which I would like to be as reliable as possible but not to play on other machines so compatibility is not a factor.
    Given this, is there any significant advantage in using ram discs as opposed to high quality -R such as Verbatim with Taiyo Yuden dye which seem to be highly recommended and much cheaper.

2. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ram disks have a longer design life I think (I seem to recall one of their target markets was long term, as in 50yr, data storage for business). You can also get caddies for ram disks which would further protect them. The other option is to just make more than one R copy - keep one for everyday use and put the other somewhere safe, when the everyday one gets scratched make another.